Ok, I’ve Now Signed Up For All 35 Social Networking Sites That FriendFeed Supports

FriendFeed Services

Ok, so I just finished signing up for every single service that FriendFeed supports. For whatever reason, two of the services that I’m signed up for Gtalk and Facebook don’t show up under FriendFeed’s collection of favicons that they use next to your name on the site.

Also I couldn’t get FriendFeed to find my seesmic account which is under thomashawk and wasn’t able to import that yet. All in now I’m signed up for 35 different sites which can be aggregated at FriendFeed.

I haven’t used all 35 different sites of course, but I do plan on trying all of them out over the course of the next few weeks. I also wanted to make sure that I got the thomashawk account name on each of these networks as I have no idea which networks I’ll be using the most down the road.

The site that I found the easiest to use and sign up for (that I hadn’t already been using) was iLike — which I think I might actually get into.

The site that was the most confusing for me and that worked the least well was seesmic. But seesmic is still in alpha so that ought to be expected.

I was surprised that I was able to sign up for SmugMug without a credit card. I’d always thought that their service was pay only, but it seems that you can sign up for a 14 day free trial without giving them any payment information.

With most of the sites my user name is thomashawk or sometimes Thomas Hawk. If you use any and like them feel free to add me as a contact.

Or better yet, add me as a contact on FriendFeed and see them all.

No Comments

1. Gary Denness says:

And I see the Disqus icon in there! Please tell me you are going to try that out to replace your blogger comments. Come on dude, even Scoble is giving it due consideration. Fake Steve and many others already do. It works so well! The only real reason you have to leave Blogger would be removed!

It works just great on my Blogger blog – link provided for demo purposes. You can remove before you approve my post if you wish…I’m not trying to spam.

2. Jeremy says:

SmugMug is in fact pay only for their options after the trial, but they do have the free trial period. This is another area where they are different than most companies because they don’t require the card at sign up for the trial and then auto bill if you forget to cancel. They only want you there if you want to stick around.

I find SmugMug powerful though a bit more difficult to figure out for the novice user. They do cater to Pros as well as photo enthusiasts though, so I love what they have to offer. They are not as social as flickr or zooomr, but their storage and freedom are unmatched.

3. Andrew says:

Saw your Twitter request – If you’re still looking for a jaiku invite, hit me up at andrew@jaiku.com and I’ll get one out to you ASAP.

4. evana says:

good luck, been meaning to do the same with friend feed, hopefully it’s the last site that makes all these networks easier….

Please tell me you are going to try that out to replace your blogger comments.

Gary, I might. Not sure yet. I signed up but haven’t really played around with it yet. I’ll probably check it out more over the next few weeks.

I am a bit tentative about moving my comments off my blog though. What happens if disqus isn’t around in 3 years for instance and all of these comments are gone?

Jeremy, I doubt I’ll actually end up paying for SmugMug. I prefer the social interaction at sites like Zooomr/Flickr, if it were free I’d definitely keep a presence there and use it, just not sure I’m ready to pay for it yet. I’ll play around with it more over the next 14 days or so.

Thanks Andrew. Actually I just twittered that I needed one and got one in about 5 minutes. I’m going to poke around Jaiku as well a bit. Feels a lot like Twitter, but I’ve stopped using Twitter in favor of FriendFeed for the most part.

6. Todd says:

Is there any software that helps you maintain your presence in all these networks? Can you choose 5 files to upload, and have it appear in Facebook, Flickr, Zoomr, etc.. Is there something that when you twit, it’ll update all the appropriate networks, like Facebooks what you’re doing, etc.. (I’ve installed the FriendFeed Facebook application that displays my twits, but it’d be better if my status was directly updated).

Anyway, seems like there should be someone out there making it easy to poast to multiple social networking sites.

7. mahdroo says:

Your signing up for friendfeed & blogging about it was the gateway for me to understand what it offered, and I signed up for it too. Thanks. I also signed up for iLike and I am LOVING it. Thanks for the recommendation. You rock!