The New Walt Disney Family Museum’s No Photography Policy Sucks

Leaving It All Behind Me

I was excited to read about the opening this week of the Walt Disney Family Museum in the Presidio in San Francisco. I love photographing everything that I can in San Francisco, and a new museum seemed like a perfect place to explore, especially one centered around Walt Disney.

One of the things that I especially loved about Disneyland when I visited with my family a few years back was that they had a completely open photo policy — allowing you free and unfettered access to the park with your camera.

Unfortunately, not so for the newly opened Walt Disney Family Museum. A quick review of their website shows that photography is forbidden in the museum. It’s disappointing to see a new museum open with a no photo policy when so many museums recently have begun moving the other way and removing photography restrictions. Just last month, for example, the EMP in Seattle dropped their no photography policy.

It’s unfortunate that I will not be going to the New Disney museum or taking my family there. It’s too bad that they’ve decided at their opening to adopt such a photographer unfriendly policy. Hopefully they can reconsider this restriction and take measures to come into line with most of the other Bay Area museums including the de Young, The SF MOMA, the Asian Art Museum, the Oakland Museum of California, the Academy of Sciences, the Legion of Honor and many other smaller museums who do allow photography.

I do love taking images of Disney imagery and am disappointed that I won’t be able to include photographs from this museum in my collection of Disney images.

14 comments on “The New Walt Disney Family Museum’s No Photography Policy Sucks
  1. Sam Posten says:

Man that stinks. Last year the Home Theater Forum got to go to the Disney lot and went to the Disney Archive, it was the thrill of a lifetime to have a look at some of their priceless treasures and see how proud they of their history.

I’d definitely be up for the Family Museum if I’m ever out that way, but that policy is pretty lame…

2. Craig Cormier says:

The Disney corporation, parks and resorts are not involved with the Disney Family Museum. The Disney Family Foundation is responsible for the museum. So it’s not the same people making policies in both places.

3. meligrosa says:

Well, lets hope they lift it sometime soon. Might have to check it out after a 1yr of its opening, thats when the excitiment would not be as crazy… *ithink.

4. glenn says:

As a hugh Disney fan, I too am saddened by the decision to not allow photos to be taken at the Disney Family Museum. I had talked with my wife and daughter about making the trip just to see the artifacts of the man we have come to love so much. But it would be like going to see Grandpa, and not being able to take that much cherished family photo. No thanks, Disney Family Museum, for now I’ll stay home.

5. Cecil Tracey says:

I have enjoyed photography as a hobby for 50+years. I own a Canon 20D and am a Scott Kelby fan. He is a great photoshop expert, yet emphasizes the importance of getting the best possible shot when taking the picture, to make your time in photoshop more enjoyable.The information here is incredible…Thanks a lot…

6. Ryan says:

damn, how else are you going to capture a picture of someone else’s art?

7. Edward says:

That’s stupid. Can’t imagine there’s anything in there that hasn’t been seen a million times already. And, as someone else pointed out, in today’s Internet age, they’re actually missing out on the ability to generate publicity and awareness. Then again, since they’ve done a LOUSY job of that themselves, I guess it’s clear they don’t CARE about publicity and awareness.

8. knmi says:

Count among the photography neanderthals the Seattle Art Museum and the Vancouver (B.C.) Art Gallery. The Vancouver Art Gallery even expects you to check your camera at the coat check. I left both places and they lost the revenue. Who made them the copyright police?

9. tullymonster says:

No one is taking into account the experience of other museum goers. You guys commenting here on this blog may be semi pros with your cameras but the majority of people out there are most decidedly not. I have visited this museum. There is a lot of glass, plex, monitors and projection screens. Having flashes go off all around me while I’m trying to view this stuff would annoy me greatly. As the lighting is a major component of these exhibits, a place like this is best experienced through the eye, not the lens