Why is it That My iPhone…

Safari Can't Open, Blah, Blah, Blah

1. Won’t connect with a web site right now while I’m in the Ferry Building in downtown San Francisco returning back to me a “Safari can’t open the page because it can’t fine the server” message instead? The same “server not found” message that I get for any web page that I try to access. (Note, I just turned it on and off and got my slooowww internet access back).

2. Can’t load a TechCrunch article from the West Oakland BART Station to the Transbay Tube so that I can have something interesting to read while the BART train is under the Bay?

3. Couldn’t get a voice or data signal in Downtown Portland for over three hours (until I finally simply turned it off and back on)?

4. Couldn’t post an item to Pownce or Zooomr’s Zipline last night while driving from Mason and Post to Epic Restaurant along the Embarcadero (over a ten minute drive)?

5. Frequently won’t rotate my screen while it’s stuck on some internet load?

6. Types really, really, slowly sometimes while I’m loading an internet page?

7. Can’t get a signal in the men’s restroom in the Ferry Building in downtown San Francisco?

8. Couldn’t load a web page from the toll plaza at the entrance of the Bay Bridge to exiting the first off ramp of the Bay Bridge (about 10 minutes later) in San Francisco?

9. Couldn’t load a Flickr page while walking from Fort Mason to a parking lot in Chrisy Field in San Francisco?

10. Has never been able to load my Google Map page of everywhere that I want to shoot in the world over the Edge Network when I’ve tried to access this page on the iPhone at least 50 times?

Isn’t this new fangled cell phone supposed to be able to get the internet on it?

No Comments

1. Michael says:

Better to ask why ATT’s network is so crappy. For that matter why are Sprint, Verizon, TMobile and the rest so crappy. My Treo (Sprint) continuously let me down for the past 6 days in Las Vegas, including several reboots. All because it was hunting to find a network. The state of the US cell network is sad. Very very sad.

Mike

2. dssstrkl says:

Sounds like you need to restore.

3. Thomas says:

It sounds more like AT&T;’s network is rubbish in SF. My iPhone here in Ireland on o2’s network works great – I almost never have connection problems throughout the city (Dublin). It’s not the phone’s fault – it’s the crappy network.

4. RandyManPix says:

I ride along that band wagon:

a. Why can’t it Copy and Paste…
    b. Why can’t it delete more than one email at a time…
    c. Why can’t it take video…
    d. Why can’t it make my breakfast in the morning?

Oh Yeah – It’s my iPhone that I love soooooooo much.

RandyMan

5. Gary Denness says:

What are ya doing trying to access the net while you’re driving anyway, you bad person!

I get the same problem with my iPod Touch connecting to the net. It has to be a really, really strong WiFi signal for me to connect. I’m not convinced it’s the carrier…I’m inclined to blame it on the iPhone/Touch WiFi.

Wife was driving actually.

7. TranceMist says:

“That was the demo.”

8. simonking says:

I wonder if the iphone is like that because of bottlenecks within the information stream that slow the system down.

I would imagine that there would be less data connection relies over in Dublin because of the different cell towers you are bouncing off of. Plus I would imagine their would be less people bogging down the Dublin cell tower too.

9. Brian says:

Mike has it right. ATT’s network is crappy, particularly around the waterfront area in SF. All carriers struggle in SF due to the topography, but ATT is certainly worse than Verizon. And attempting to maintain a connection to the EDGE network while moving fast (like in a car or train) is only going to make your experience worse.

I don’t have an iphone but I am hoping the 3G version will improve things (because I want one), since this is where ATT is focusing investment as they look to compete with Verizon on more advanced services like MediaFLO.

Brian

10. Aaron says:

I agree with many of these. I’m an iPhone user in Boston. The network here may be more reliable than you describe (or imply), but it’s still painfully slow and frustrating.

And not all of this is the network. Like you, I’ve noticed that the phone sometimes becomes unusable when a large page is loading. It just hangs for several seconds until the page completes loading. It won’t rotate, the multitouch functions won’t work, etc.

I also think the mail client is incredibly overrated, but that’s another story…..

11. Dan says:

You should get rid of the iPhone. You seem like a Blackberry kind of person anyway.

12. Dave Id says:

I’m in Canada where there is no iPhone service and my iPhone works GREAT. Picks up networks when I’m at work in the US that my laptop can’t pick up and I even bridged my LAN and WiFi connections on my laptop so that I can use my laptop as a WAP when I’m in my hotel room and can’t find a free WAP for my iPhone. Granted I’ve only had it a week but I’m benchmarking it and its going really well.

13. Quikboy says:

My iPhone has had pretty much the same troubling issues as well!

Plus my iPhone doesn’t sync everything well with iTunes.

I downloaded one of those ringtones from the iTunes store, but it never could work on my phone. I tried contacting Apple but they didn’t help a bit.

Live Maps doesn’t work as well as it should.

Among a few other things. Yet, on my WinMo phone, things work rather well.

Amazing how a new fancy shiny phone, can’t compare with something more reliable and workable with like WinMo.