Facebook is Boring As Hell

Language

loose wire blog: Facebook is Dead. I’m Not Being Facetious

Jeremy Wagstaff has a blog post out saying Facebook is dead. It’s not dead really, it’s just that he’s noticing that he’s not getting any significant news feedy like information.

I used to really be into Facebook. When they first opened it up I joined and really was into it for a while. The poking thing was a novelty and fun at first. I liked seeing when my friends were breaking up or getting hitched. I played around a bit in the Photowalking group. Made a few groups of my own. The news feed was fun to watch.

I think what really started to annoy me though was when they “opened” Facebook up and I started having all these incredibly inane messages pushed out at me about whether or not I wanted this widget or that widget, superhugs, bearhugs, cocktails, superhero of the year awards, show me what’s in your medicine cabinet, etc. etc. Boring drivel and crap.

For a while I was actually using the email messaging on Facebook more than my regular email. But soon this got filled up with all kinds of drivel as well and so I just stopped checking it mostly. I can barely keep up with my regular email — which is *a lot* better these days since turning over it’s management to gmail.

Every so often I still get an interesting message on Facebook. A few weeks back a woman asked me if I’d remove her name from a photo I published of her and her child (I did). That was interesting. But generally Facebook is mostly crap. The only thing I really do there anymore is confirm friend requests every so often.

Conversations just aren’t happening on Facebook and so maybe Facebook really is dead. Like the critics said originally, kids these days are pretty fickle.

Where am I going to find conversations instead? Well all over the web really. In the past 48 hours I’ve participated in conversations on Flickr, Zooomr, Pownce, Twitter, Friend Feed, my blog, other people’s blogs. Conversations are happening in very fragmented places. But they are not happening on Facebook, at least for me, and so the site is largely beginning to be ignored by me.

On Flickr I participate in a forum called Delete Me Uncensored, don’t bother clicking through unless you’ve set your Flickr preferences to see “adult” material. The group is not for the weak of stomach as it truly is uncensored and many people are frequently offended there, but it’s a real community with real conversations. Some of them are ugly and crazy and pointless. But others are super interesting.

In the past 24 hours there have been all kinds of things discussed there. From sensor cleaning, to legalizing marijuana, to guns and crime, to politics and whether or not Obama is regurgitating Marx, to Ian’s new 80,000 Audi. Interesting links and articles are exchanged and about 2,000 people hang out with many of the regulars practically living in there.

This kind of stuff is NOT happening on Facebook. At least for me.

On Zooomr I can push messages out on the Zipline and participate in conversations with an outstanding group of highly talented photographers. These messages can be set to automatically forward to Twitter.

I don’t spend a lot of time on Twitter but mostly interact with it through Zooomr’s zipline and through Friend Feed. Friend Feed is better than Twitter for me because it includes people’s Flickr and Zooomr photos as well as the action going on at Twitter. I like photos more than words generally so I like that mixture better than just words on Twitter.

And Pownce is great too. I can post something on Pownce about Firefox and get 14 people to respond back. It’s also a great place to share mp3s with your friends and discover new music. Real conversations are happening there too.

And conversations still happen on my blog. In the last week some great conversations have happened about fine art vs. graffiti and whether or not a New Mexico Christian Couple should be forced to shoot a lesbian commitment ceremony and all kinds of other great conversations. I still love blogs for conversations, I read the comments and contribute regularly to other conversations on other blogs as well.

But Facebook. Well, like I said, Facebook is boring as hell. Which is crazy given how much hype people are always making about the place.

Another thing is that Facebook requires viewers to sign up for an account before they can view your page. That’s lame! At least myspace doesn’t make you do this…Plus, I have noticed that one of the original bad thing about myspace was all the ads, but the ads have gotten a lot better. There are still a bunch of ads, but the ads are interactive now. This one ad amused me for at least 5 min. It was two Nomes shaving Ms. Claus’ hairy legs. You had to keep clicking a button in order to win and be directed to the ad’s homepage.

2. Raoul says:

Why Tom, you’re breaking ranks with your friend Scoble on this? He’s been drinking the Facebook koolaid for some time. Just a couple of months ago he thought it was the greatest and best thing out there, and snarled at me when I suggested it was overvalued and kind of useless.

Excuse me while I enjoy a nice, quiet chuckle… 🙂

I’m mostly just on Facebook, Myspace and Zooomr (doesn’t do much for me socially since very few of my friends are there). I really wish that there was just one definitive social networking, file sharing, photo and video uploading, etc. website. That way EVERYONE could be there rather than scattered about causing me to have to visit multiple sites.

4. Webomatica says:

I agree. I recently quit Facebook completely. A friend of mine summed it up – you receive an email from Facebook telling you to login to Facebook to see a message someone sent to you. Why not just send a freaking email directly in the first place? Facebook wants to direct and keep all interaction on the site when there are so many easier methods of communication that are more direct (IM, email, cellphone, Twitter). No thanks.

5. Dawson Jones says:

I agree, I hate those hugs, buy a banana thing, super weird. The whole place is to small and cluttered.

6. Jeremy says:

I’ll join the ranks of the “I agree with you” crowd. I only joined Facebook a few months ago to find and network with some old friends. Other than the connections made, I find the rest of their applications pointless. I have no time for them and simply “Ignore All” every couple of weeks to clear it out when I am there to check my inbox and friend requests.

Glad to read the note about your Gmail apps working out. It has been a dream for my inbox.

7. TranceMist says:

I never thought of it as interesting enough to even create an account.

8. Facebook is dumb, it’s pretty much me poking my girlfriend. ha ha.

It’s so boring and isn’t interesting at all. My sister works for myspace making pages for advertisers and we both have no idea how to get facebook to be fun. It isn’t and it makes me want to punch babies.

Plus I already have myspace shoe laces, what more do I need from facebook?

9. bugs says:

I know I am leaving a comment on this thread a little late…
    anyway, I also really enjoy discovering new music all the time.

The best I found is in fact listening to the KCRW internet radio.
    Not sure if you know it, it is based in california, and they usually play international/not very well known artists…

Although not everything they play is my cup of tea (as we say on the other side of the pond), most of it is.
    I found a few gem thanks to this radio, lately:
    – The Black keys (so he wont break)
    – Scott Matthews (white feathered medicine)

They have a cool feature where you can listen to their music channel, and also find out what is currently playing with direct link to itunes…
    not sure if there music is always good.
    But I usually listen to their show in the morning and evening UK time (-8h from California).

Highly recommended!!

10. Mark Brown says:

I am on the precipice of leaving Facebook but what keeps me barely involved is all the connections I have made with people from my past.. I have made connections with friends I haven’t seen for 10 + years.. Once I can migrate my data I am out of there…

11. Im intrigued that facebook could be dead. The truth is and its statistics prove that FB is very alive. I am big on FB because it allows me to connect with people in a virtual way that I couldn’t in other ways. It has to be backed up with an ACTUAL relationship too.

When I was a lad we had nothing like this apart from something called “partyline” where you called a number and then got off with Girls or whatever .

If it allows people to CONNECT and COMMUNICATE then its great in my books. You can actually block all the crap on FB if you want and have a pretty normal account.

We had over 800 comments on one photo alone but it wasn’t the comments that mattered it was the relationships that were forming because of it.

FB will some be superseded of that I am sure but for now it is connecting 70 million active users, something must be right.

By the way would you like to be my friend (ha ha)

12. Johnson Yip says:

I never liked facebook because the theme is kind of too institutional for me. If I can’t change the theme or colours on my profile. I go somewhere else.

Plus, FB reminded me of school, one of the places I try to get away from when I am off school.

13. Immortal Myspace Daemon says:

Facebook is just about as immutable as the speed of light. I created a facebook profile just to see what all the facebook hype was about. It turns out that the phrase “don’t believe the hype” definitely applies to facebook. As soon as I logged in I was met with a dull, blank white profile page with no capability to customize the profile background or appearance, no music options like myspace, and very scant limitations on video uploading. The links are totally out of place and there is way fewer group categories.

Two thumbs way the hell down for Facebook.

Myspace will remain king of the social network sites in my opinion.

14. No Way! says:

OMG FACEBOOK IS SOOOO NOT BORING U ARE STRANGOOOSSS

15. Tayor says:

Listen,the stuff u wrote is just shit okay Facebook is cool u dont know so shut ur stupit website and myspace is stupit than Facebook because when i tried getting a Myspace account they wouldnt let me and Facebook has cool games and NO BODY from Facebook will shut there aount because u think they should

16. Lame-o network says:

Facebook is not worth the bandwidth it’s sent on. Honestly I hate that I even have an account and was seriously considering taking it down when they had that remove your facebook page day not too long ago. Anyways my opinion is that there are two kinds of people on the internet; those that try to make all the weird crap fit into nice neat organized places and those that try to make it more cluttered and all over the place and let the search engines figure it all out. I’m the second kind of person and don’t really care if I make a thousand tweet pages with one or two words or that I have photos stored on multiple pages and friends that aren’t the same on all my networks. Most of the people I grew up with I talk to once in a while, if at all, anyways.

17. Jaxnkid85 says:

Well For me I joined A long Time ago & never visited my site until Everyone Started going to FB , My First account I made like 4 Years ago
    & never had any issues until This year When FB Disabled my first Account after 4 Years of been A Member so I Recreated A New Account & Once again They Disabled it Claiming my Name is Fake Mind you I Used My real Name so not understanding why? my Account was Reported as Fake unless Users Reported them out of been MEAN , this last time my page was Disabled & I’ve just Went back to Myspace & Have A Twitter , I’m like I will not Join FB Cause I mean I joined & Used My own Name & They keep Disabling my Pages So I’m like I’m not going Bad & NO I never Did anything that Violated any rules so I’m like What Kinda of Social Network Is FB trying to be , They Limit How many Friends you can have & Disable you for No reason Or claims their System is pulling up & I’m like FB Is BS I will Never ever Join FB , I can’t wait until Something else Comes along that better & A Network that doesn’t Limits its Members to have only 5,000 users & Disabling you For Crap you Never did .

Just like Myspace is Today Facebook will In A few years right now its All Hyped up & Maybe A Now Billion Dollar Company But Just like the rest It’ll Die & Something else will Come along & I can’t wait Cause Finally I will be able to Connect W/Family Without been Banned & Disabled & Blocked from A Network thats BS .

I will Stay At Myspace & Twitter until something Comes along.