Problem With Windows Media Player 11 Fetching Album Information

Can't Get Album Meta Data With Windows Media Player

I had this problem before with Windows Media Player 11 (and it seems from searching Google that the problem is widespread) but was hoping someone out there might know how to fix it.

Basically when I try to rip a CD with Windows Media Player 11 it does not populate the album information and metadata. Even when I right click on the album (which shows unknown album when I put it into my PC) and select “Find Album Info” and WMP finds the correct album from their meta data provider, when I click “Finish” and try to apply the metadata it does not get applied to the CD that I’m trying to rip.

This problem happens with all CDs that I try to rip on my brand new Dell PC. I do have “connect to the internet” checked in my settings.

Although I could delete my Windows Media Player folder and try to start over from scratch, I’m hesitant to do this because my media library is large and it takes at least a day to repopulate my library on my PC and another day each for my three XBox 360 extenders.

Does anyone know of a way to force WMP11 to accept the album metadata under the “find album info” command when it won’t accept it?

For some reason I’m also unable now to create an auto playlist in WMP11 that would show all of my music from the genre jazz that I’ve rated 4 stars are higher.

I also did try renaming the Media Player folderin app data folder but Vista won’t let me rename that folder because it says that I don’t have permissions.

In the meantime I’m going to try and install iTunes on my PC to see if it can rip my CDs with metadata.

Large view of the screenshot here.

1. Simple – go the Amarok way!

2. Windows Media Player can be very frustrating with things like this. I had an issue where the stars that I assigned to music would not be saved with the file, even though I had that option set in the preferences.

Very little in the way of support with WMP, as if everyone just resigns themselves to dealing with it because it’s not like anyone at Microsoft is going to hear, or do anything about, complaints about the program. If there is an official and effective channel for such things, I’m not aware of it.

I’ve said it before, but it’s worth saying again, you’re using the wrong program for ripping CD’s. I highly recommend dBPoweramp Music Converter:

I don’t think you will be disappointed. If you go for the dBpoweramp Reference version, you get multi-CPU ripping and encoding.

I’ve ripped all my CDs to WMA Lossless into a “Lossless” folder, and then use the Music Converter to convert those lossless files into whatever lossy format I want. Right now, I am using 192kbps VBR MP3’s, but in the future, I can change my mind and use a higher bitrate and/or different codec and reconvert instead of having to re-rip. The music converter is also multi-CPU aware, so I can imagine that will be fun to watch on a quad-core system…

The software integrates with AMG and I’ve had very few problems with album art and information not showing up automatically. The secure ripping helps with scratched discs as well.

It’s the best $28 I’ve spent in quite some time! I highly recommend using this software over WMP.

3. Uh, oh! The messianic Windows Media Player has issues…

He, he.

Check that the media files are not set to read-only. If they are WMP will not apply the changes.

I am running WMP11 on MCE2005 and just found out yesterday that I was not able to load album info (automatically or manually).I have not found the solution online either. I’ll be watching your blog. I wonder if there was a recent update that caused this problem.

6. Civisi says:

I had an issue with WMP once where it wouldn’t talk to the Internet. As I finally figured out, the Internet Connection Wizard has never ran, and WMP apparently looked to it for its settings.

As an experiment, try this.

Right-click on your desktop IE shortcut and choose Properties, or go to the Control Panel and choose Internet Options. On the Connections tab, next to “To set up an Internet connection, click Setup”, click Setup. Follow the prompts, and once completed, try WMP again.

Let me know if it works, please.

Best of luck to you.

7. El says:

I gave up on WMP a long time ago because of several issues just like this. Microsoft seems to never update WMP either which finally made my mind up.

I use JR Media Center and it works great. It does cost $40.00, but it was worth it for me.

8. El says:

BTW, I second the recommendation of dbPoweramp.

9. shvelmur says:

The best album manager I have used till date, is Media Monkey.

There is a free and a paid version. I have used the free version for over a year, and does an amazing job of pulling info from Amazon (us, uk, fr etc).

I have stuck with mp3’s for now, and is a very nice solution to get everythinf from album artwork to rename files etc.

10. Jeff says:

There’s always CDex. It’s basic and won’t organize all your music – it just rips, but that sounds like all you’re looking for. And it’s never failed me when it comes to pulling the album info from whatever CDDB site you specify. Best of all, it’s absolutely free.

11. Carl says:

Seconding JRiver Media Center. I use JRMC to manage my server-based music directory. My Vista Media Center PC gets all its music data from the same music directory managed by JRMC. I believe they have a free music-only manager now too. Again – no affiliation with the company – just a happy user.

Holy Schnykies! This worked for me:

13. Jason says:

Hey Civisi, the setting up of the connection worked for me.

14. Nick says:

Civisi, the setting up of the connection worked for me too!

15. nmo says:

I have the same problem. No solutions from anywhere!!

16. Lisa says:

The setting up of the connection worked for me as well