Big Announcement From TiVo Coming Tomorrow

Just got a media advisory on a press conference that Tom Rogers CEO of TiVo will be holding tomorrow at the Museum of Television and Radio in New York. They will be announcing a new initiative.

Not sure on what this could be but many things come to mind, an announcement on a subscription only pricing model that has been bantered around in the press lately, more details on the Series 3 TiVo, another cable partnership… it should be intereseting.

The advisory release is below.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE MEDIA ADVISORY

TiVo TO UNVEIL NEW INITIATIVE

WHAT: TiVo is hosting a press conference to discuss important developments.

WHO: Tom Rogers, President and CEO, TiVo and selected other special guests

WHEN: Thursday, March 2nd at 11:00 a.m. ET

WHERE: The Museum of Television & Radio
25 West 52nd Street
New York, New York

Update: The New York Times is reporting that the announcement will be for an initiative called KidZone.

Tags:

1. Dave Zatz says:

‘New Initiative’ is singular… and could refer to either a new subscription/pricing scheme or perhaps a new partnership. I don’t think it’ll be any sort of Series 3 announcement.

2. Dave Zatz says:

Oh yeah… tomorrow IS March 2… the date Microsoft officially unveils the Origami. ;)

It does read “selected special other guests” which would lead one to believe that this could be non TiVo people and that the announcement would involve some kind of partnership.

Maybe it is something with Netflix?

It was hinted that the deal was still alive.

5. John says:

netflix, cisco, itunes, slingbox, apple

any of these would be welcome

(microsoft would not be)

With Apple’s announcement yesterday of the juiced up mini’s, it would make perfect sense to announce a parntership with Apple. “…oh, and just one more thing…”

7. Adam Berger says:

It has to be seires 3…can they really wait any longer the HD revolution will just pass them by.

8. Aron says:

My WAG is that they were blown away by the KFC ad (only visible when slowed down), and this will be something along those lines.

9. Dave Zatz says:

A reader posted on my site that he has insider info and the announcement is related to a new KidZone service:

My guess is that it will be some type of formal announcement detailing their IPTV / content delivery platform (e.g. IFC, Rocketboom, etc.)

11. Angel says:

It’d be good for them if they did what I say on this podcast. I believe the future of media entertainment lives on the union of DVRs + P2P + Social Networking. Listen to my podcast.

12. Corey Hawk says:

Tom,

I am glad you got the name and not me. Thomas Andrew was the second name on my mom’s list. That would make me Tom A. Hawk.

Whew I dodged it.

Regards,
    Corey J Hawk

13. dham says:

TiVo has really been having some ups and downs but mostly downs. It’s such a great techology w/such a great potential but I’m worried that their day in the sun is over. Too many big companies are in PVR now and TiVo doesn’t have enough subscribers to sustain them.

Derek Hampton
    SouthBeachCasa

14. Giggles says:

I definately welcome it :)

15. conspiracy theorist says:

Could be that they have been using unused bandwidth on their sttelites to search for extraterestrial life and now they have proof that it exists……

16. Steve Sirica says:

They need to give those of us with a Series 1 with a lifetime subscription an incentive to upgrade to a Series 2. It’s an untapped market that’s overlooked. If they ever offered up a transfer incentive I would get a new box tomorrow.

Oh, and one more thing… Series 3 TiVos for everyone!!