Abusive New York Camera Store Threatens to Break Customer’s Neck

Precision Computing – Customer Service at WaWaDigital – “I’m going to break your neck.” “You better not pick up, bitch. I’m gonna to come down there and break your god damn neck. You heard me, alright? Kid, you better hear me, bitch. Do you hear me, BITCH? Yes, you’d better believe it. You’re in biiiig trouble, my friend.” This was the voicemail reportedly left on a customer’s voicemail after he refused to buy overpriced accessories and instead wanted to cancel his order when he was abused by a salesperson at WaWa Digital in Brooklyn, New York.

Of all of the horror stories that I heard from others who had similarly bad experiences to my own recent run in with PriceRitePhoto, this one takes the case. Hey, at least I was only threatened with a lawsuit and arrest by PriceRitePhoto camera store manager / attorney Steve Philips.

Lee Holmes, a blogger who works for Microsoft, was at work a few weeks back when a co-worker of his was allegedly threatened by this sleazy Brooklyn camera outfit, WaWa Digital.

From Lee’s blog:

“Somebody I work with recently tried to buy a camera from an internet retailer called “WaWaDigital.” He was telling me about the low price they had it listed for, when the guy called him to confirm the order.

At this point, I recognized what was going on. For some reason, there is an entire cottage industry (in the little cottage called Brooklyn, New York) that sells the camera for below cost, but cancels the order on you unless you buy hundreds of dollars of over-priced accessories.

As the phone call progresses, it’s like watching a really cheesy horror film play out. It’s bad, but funny in its predictability.

“No, thanks, I have all of the storage cards I need.”
Mumble mumble on-the-other-end-of-a-cell-phone-mumble
“The batteries only last for 2 pictures, do they? No thanks, I have all the batteries I need.”
Mumble mumble don’t be so damn cheap mumble mumble

At this point, he’s walking into my office, with the expression on his face of, “You wouldn’t believe the phone call I’m on right now.” I can pretty much hear both sides of the conversation now, and the next thing I was expecting to hear was that the order was canceled. Instead, it continues…

“Don’t be cheap? Listen. That is ridiculous customer service. Cancel my order and goodbye.”
“Cancel your order? You really want to pay the 30% restocking fee for canceling your order?”
“What restocking fee? There is no order, and you’re not going to charge me one.”
“Oh yes I will.”
“Go ahead, and I’ll dispute the charges on my card and it’ll cost you even more.”

Then, my jaw literally drops, as I scramble to help him record the phone call.

“Don’t you even dare. You do that, and I’ll break your neck. You hear me? I’ll come there and break your f—–g neck. I’ll …”

“Goodbye.”, and he hangs up.

Even worse, this sleazy camera salesperson actually called back and left the death threat on the guys voicemail. You can download it here and hear it for yourself. (Note: Not safe for work).

Of course, like PriceRitePhoto, WaWa Digital also has an abysmal record with the New York BBB who rates their record as unsatisfactory. The number one type of complaint against WaWa Digital? Yep, you guessed it, selling practices.

By the way, the BBB reports the parent company of WaWa Digital as Starlight Cameras at 295 Avenue O, Brooklyn, NY. 866-621-1697. They also do business as Accessories Land, I.N.S. Digital World, Stargate Photo, and The Camera Whiz.

So the question is, when is Spitzer going to get off his duff and clean up this mess in his own backyard? I mean we were first warned about these bait and switch guys over two years ago by PC World. How hard would it be to find the lowest price camera stores and have a few cops call them as a mystery shoppers and then balk at the accessories. If a store then said they were out of stock they could then be fined for deceptive advertising. Hopefully at some point I will receive a response back from Spitzer’s office to the complaint that I formally filed with them about PriceRitePhoto. It’s shameful that here in the U.S. our law enforcement lets these Brooklyn camera outfits get away with what they do.

Update: Daniel went over to Brooklyn and took some photos of WaWa Photo.

Update #1: LO2 has remixed the threatening phone call above Cody Chesnutt vs. WaWa Digital mash up (not safe for work). Very funny.

Update #2: Another remix of the WaWa Digital voicemail is out, this time it’s the slow bitch mix (not safe for work).

109 comments on “Abusive New York Camera Store Threatens to Break Customer’s Neck

If that message was indeed left, and it was indeed recorded, he should file a complaint with the police. That kind of behavior should be punished–and it is a criminal offense.

it is indeed a criminal offense, something they call assault.

If the guy had actually hit him, it would be called battery.

Get the police involved.

3. Sam says:

I am not surprised – I agree with the comment about Spitzer – I have filed formal complaints with his office in the past with no real action – the problem is this is going on ALL OVER New York – and not just with the indies – read about my fiasco with BEST BUY

I appreciate the fact so many bloggers and people from out of the area are interested in this – it’s been a rampant problem here for a million years – I find it hilarious they try to take these practices online – Please read about my BBY experience above, please listen to my radio show about bargain shopping (ymmvradio.com) – these are not remotely iscolated incidents.

4. Blicky Bloc says:

That is the funniest phone message I have ever heard. I will set it to music later on today.

5. How is it that these bait and switch guys are still in business?

I guess you end up paying for what you get. In this case shitty customer service and the risk of credit card fraud.

Pay the small premium and visit your local camera dealer shop instead. The people who work there are knowledgeable and you’ll have the guarantee of an excellent camera.

Under our new draconian laws, he should be able to claim “terroristic threats”, which seems to get faster responses than the usual legal recourses.

INAL, but I watch a lot of Law & Order.

Actually the criminal offense is called Harassing Communications. I recently had to use it on an ex for similarly threatening calls.

8. jwiltshire says:

Dag, I bought a Konica Minolta DiMage from Broadway Photo (in Brooklyn) online, and they called me up to confirm the order and sell me more crap. I only got the American packaging (I was naive and bought into the line about the camera being grey market and I’d have to pay 30 bucks for the American stuff), but they didn’t f me around as bad as that. I guess I got lucky. It’s brick and mortar for me for now on.

Sounds like a Tony Soprano operation. I was almost expecting to hear a thick Sicilian accent on that message

Actually, it sounds vaguely like Fat Tony from The Simpsons.

11. abb3w says:

Since it sounds like YOU aren’t in NY, but probably in another state (WA?), you might try the FBI. Under 18 USC 875 (b): “Whoever, with intent to extort … any money or other thing of value, transmits in interstate or foreign commerce any communication containing … any threat to injure the person of another, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than twenty years, or both.” It might only be a part (c) violation — I’d bet on a DA being willing to plea bargain that way if it got to court — and I’m not 100% sure that the FBI has jurisdiction. However, I’m sure if you call your local FBI office, ask politely, and mention the relevant federal code, your freindly neighborhood G-Man would be willing either to take your complaint, or refer you to the agency with the proper jurisdiction. The NYC office might even stop by to brighten up these fellows’ day. =)

12. Bink says:

Thomas, this could be your new full-time job. Exposing these slimey companies on your blog and allow the blogosphere to do its thing. Get some advertisers on your blog, which now I’m sure is getting major traffic (you’ve been BoingBoinged again, BTW).

I bought one from Broadway Photo also. I got the high pressure sales when I had to call to “confirm” my order. 10 minutes of my saying NO to all the accesories. $150 for 3 filters. A UV,polarizer and ND. I asked about just the UV and it was $80 for some brand I never heard of. Anyway I got the gray market camera. Shipping was $50.

Here they are at Reseller Ratings

15. cleek says:

It’s brick and mortar for me for now on

Adorama and B&H; both have good reputations. i bought a D100 from Adorama a few years back and while they did try to sell me batteries and memory cards, they didn’t threaten to cancel my order or break my neck when i said no.

I saw a story a few months ago talking about all the Brooklyn camera stores. It seems that most belong to the same family. One guy started a camera shop many years ago.. Maybe its was 47th st photo but Im not sure. Anyway he helped setup all his family members in the biz and they control the camera biz out of Brooklyn. Here is another link showing some of the Brooklyn store fronts. They look like closed businesses

I couldnt find anything at the BBB for New york from Stargate photo but here is a BBB for Broadway Photo

Assuming you are not in NY state–This is a federal crime! It crosses state lines! Call in the big guns.

There’s a bunch of these guys that also advertise in the back of magazines like Car & Driver, Road & Track, etc…

I don’t know if they’re still there, but broadway photo was one of them as well as something along the lines of smile camera?

Why somethings never been done, who knows. Mob influence? Greasing the political wheels?

20. Discfree.com says:

It’s comforting to know that Steve Phillip’s didn’t have too much trouble find a new job after his pricerite fiasco.

A word should be said in support of the web camera retailers who do honest business. I would recommend, among others, http://www.bhphotovideo.com. When I bought my Canon A620 from them last month, they did not call me back to “confirm” the order, I received the camera in 6 calendar days via standard shipping, and best of all, I paid only about $15 higher than the criminal rings’ bogus low price (for a ~$330 camera).

BLAME YAHOO

BLAME GOOGLE

These companies continue to list these MOBSTERS on their shopping websites despite the fact that they’re ACTIVELY RIPPING OFF CUSTOMERS.

I’ve gotten scammed by WAWA DIGITAL. Total crooks!

BLAME YAHOO

BLAME GOOGLE

Calling Starlite Camera Inc at 866-621-1697 from out of state isn’t possible. When I called (718) 627-7111 and dialed extension 0 a man eventually answered. I asked to speak to public relations for WaWa Digital. He asked why. I mentioned the story of an abusive call. He said he hadn’t heard about it. I said it was a story becoming famous on the internet. He hung up.

24. dalas v. says:

this is what NYC is all about. it’s the worst place on Earth. NYPD will usually not press assault charges unless you can show them an actual injury. when my friend was almost stabbed by a crazy man the NYPD told him that he provoked the attack and didn’t do anything, and my friend had a slight injury.

25. Chris Gwynne says:

the recording sounds fake. whats up with that

26. Lee says:

I learned about this problem when I researched buying a digital camera online a few years ago, so it hasn’t happened to me.

Like I mentioned in the post, it was a co-worker that actually got threatened, so I haven’t personally followed up with the police. I’ve been pestering the victim to do it, though!

P.S: Why would I fabricate the recording?

27. Captain Bee says:

Amen. That is some seriously messed up shit – the message is actually kind of funny because the dude is such a douche.

i passed this on to a friend who works for a ny senator on capitol hill…

Places like this deserve to be scammed back. Need a camera? Buy one from them, accept the upsell, then return all the extra junk. Dispute the charge for the extras with your credit card company, saying you didn’t order them. Once they take a look at the merchant, they’ll side with you, and you get the camera for the advertised price.

30. Daniel says:

BTW Price Right Photo and WaWa are on the same street.

Well within sight of each other, within 200 feet. Amazing these people do this.

I had the saaaaame kind of interaction:

“we don’t do business with students, bye.”

myspace.com/lydiaj

If you’re in New York, call 311 and register your complaint <– from my buddy who used to work at the department of consumer affairs at city hall in ny.

33. Lori says:

For all of you who think this is a fake recording, I just listened to it and guarantee, it is real. If you have seen my complaint filed at all sites possible, you would see that I heard those words (among other just amazing things), you are in trouble. To be exact,”You are in trouble now, you know you are in trouble now.” When I listened to this download, I was shocked. I will never forget that voice. That is the same guy that I talked to. How can he continue? Come on New York, these guys are giving you a bad rep. Other Tech/Camera Shops online, they are making you guys lose business. This is so unacceptable.

34. Atle Veka says:

I just got this brilliant idea, let’s all file a complaint with the company that hosts the stargatephoto.com website, https://www.broadwing.net/

Their customer support email is: broadwingwebmail@broadwing.com . I wrote the following complaint:

Subject: Complaint
    Dear Customer Care, I am writing this e-mail to inform you of
    the possibly illegal activities of one of your customers. The
    customer in question runs this site:
    http://www.stargatephoto.com/ .

Your customer runs a classic bait-and-switch operation selling
    camera equipment. Their customer service representatives are
    extremely rude, often calling customers “bitch” (1), and have
    even resorted to death threats (2). A quick google search shows
    that plenty of customers have had a terrible experience with
    this company (3), please do us all a favor and give this
    customer the boot. It appears that they may even be in breach of
    your Terms of Use.

Regards,
    Atle Veka

References:

(wawa digital is the same company as Stargate Photo)
    3) http://www.resellerratings.com/seller9573.html

AHA! That mix was GREAT! But it was way TOO short! You really had the pace and color just right.

ogg

36. JD says:

Why on earth did you not call the police and have them prosecuted for terrorist threats (or whatever NY law calls it)? Leaving that message was a crime. Jesus, quit bitching and call the cops.

T.H.-
    You’re doing great work on this topic and getting the internet world mobilized such that maybe there can be some change in the future. Keep it up!

38. p says:

Might be fun to check out these Camera Storefronts on Google Earth or on the new MSN Live Local (former Virtual Earth) at http://snipurl.com/knhg (the link includes the address for everyprice.com, the “review” site which has been associated with these camera stores and is in Brooklyn as well.)

39. gypsy says:

OMG!!!
    i am almost sure that THAT was the guy who said he won’t sell me the camera lest i purchase accessories with it!!! when i tried to call customer service to complain, the same voice answered so i just hung up. WE ALL NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THESE FUCKERS.

Sorry, I don’t have a blogger name, but this is a great story.

Are there any updates? I’m very interested to see where this goes.

Tom

This is late. But I have compiled a quick list of the camera stores on the Amex Computers Netblock.

here:

comebackalive.com

-Kurt

Jeez..What is wrong with me today. i did that link poorly.

comebackalive.com

Sorry

-Kurt

43. ed says:

I’ve added another remix here:

44. Sounds like a song by Tool called Harry Manback… just without the Italian slurs and the music.

B&H; Photo Video is a legitimate operation that is tainted by being a NY shop.

I have purchased multiple products at B&H.; Their service has been very prompt. They have never tried to sell me anything more than what I wanted. Additionally their shipping has been prompt and reasonably priced. Fact is that I paid little more than these shady operators.

I have twice bought used products from B&H.; Completely satisfied both times.

wawa digital is “being rerated” for suspicious activity related to stuffing the ballot, I suspect, on Shopzilla.

Also: PriceRitePhote gets pretty poor marks on shopzilla too.

Disclosure: I work at Shopzilla, but was happy to see that our site at least seems to warn users about these crappy vendors.

47. J. Schock says:

Save yourself the trouble and don’t bother with any of those scammers.

The only two discount retailers I consider trustworthy:

- B&H; Photo
    - Adorama

I called them up to ask if they “threatened to break a customers neck”. The person (who sounded like the recording) denied the fact, and advised that WaWa camera was part of the conglomerate “WaWA” markets, like the 7-eleven’s – according to the caller. I will say he was cool about it, and did not threaten me personally.

I called today Dec 12 2005, was called a fuckin cream puff, and was told there would be a problem if i called back…so i called back and said now what is the problem.
    Be Warned, they are crooks…

Here is their phone number 718-627-7111 Give them a call and let them know they are outnumbered. Wildly outnumbered. These guys sell your info on the street too. Great… you PAY them to ruin your credit and have to deal with a stolen identity to boot. If anyone should be worried about broken legs, it should be these marks.

51. terry says:

ran into these idiots over a year ago checking on a camera order. wound up in a cussing match. later, sent emails to the ny and nj att. gen., no response. they use many names and operate in nj and ny. if they aren’t being dealt with after all this time by the law, then there are two obvious conclusions…incompetence or collusion? anyway, glad they are being exposed. they seem dumb by means of being too brazen to be organized crime, sounds like wannabes. yet could be dangerous if under estimated. this inspires the need for action, piss ants like this deserve justice. can’t believe they haven’t screwed with the wrong headcase lately…
    good luck to all you crime fighters out there…merry christmas from alabama.

wow theses guys are still making the money I had runin with them a couple years ago too I ended up flipping out on them on the phone Then called them back just to curse at them again Maybe we should do what my sister does too telemarketers keep them on the line sound interested let them do there whole pitch then hang up and if your up to it call back and do it again also sounds like a really good 60 min show

I used to live in Brooklyn and called them once to see if they’d let me come by and pick up if I ordered. The answer was emphatically NO.

I’m glad I didn’t do business with them. Judging from the accent on the recording, it’s probably run by lower level Russian mobsters and the merchandise probably is stolen during shipment. It’s a classic mob scam.

If you haven’t called the police with this recording you’re an idiot. Conveying terroristic threats is a felony in New York, and if you’re out of state it’s a Federal Crime. Contact the FBI and DHS. Might as well put them to work and keep them from harrassing the innocent.

Don’t try to pawn it off on the “russians”, guy. It’s ORTHODOX JEWS IN BROOKLYN who are and have been running this scam for a long long time.

They think it’s morally good to rip off “goyim” (meaning “cattle”, their word for non-jews). It’s part of their religion.

Please don’t try to blame italians or russians for it. Everyone in brooklyn knows who is doing this.

That’s why they use fake non-jewish sounding names like “ed lopez” and “steve phillips” to deflect attention away from all the baruch’s and chaim’s who are running this racket.

My advice to anyone out there: Do NOT but any kind of electronics goods from any address in brooklyn. also, if they use pentagrams in their logo, that;’s another sign. The orthodox jews in brooklyn have been doing this for a long time, and hiding behind fake non-jewish-sounding names like “barclay’s photo” or “cambridge photo”.

They’re in-bred dirtbags, who really look down on non-jews, which is why they think they can get away with threatening people and being assholes in general. don’t take shit from them.

Whoa, lets not turn this post into a racist thing…

Sad but true about the Jewish connection, though. All of these neighborhoods are WILDLY Orthodox and Hasidic. If you don’t agree, call them on Saturday, or Friday afternoon/evening. They will not be open on their sabbath, guaranteed.

recently purchased a camera nightmare from them, they are abusive and threatening over the phone, I was physically shaken and scared to act against them after talking to them!

I had a very similar experience with them. I placed an order and received a call a few minutes later. The salesperson was using high pressure sales tactics to try to get me to be more overpriced accessories to go along with the camera I wanted.

I finally told him to cancel the order and he started in on me. He called me cheap, among other things I won’t mention.

I insisted that he cancel the order and he started swearing at me. This went on for a couple of minutes, so I finally hung up and immediately called my credit card company to make sure the charge would not be accepted.

I would have filed a complaint but this guy sounds like bad news. I don’t need a broken leg or a bullet in my head so I just let it go. Thankfully the order never went through.

I hope this scumbag gets his just do!

60. Same experience with me. I accepted the upgrades, but they didn’t ship it with the camera. I called and they acted like they were doing me a huge favor. I mentioned I was leaving for Australia for three weeks in just a few days, and they said they’d do their best to get it to me. Of course it did not arrive in time, and when I got home I called them to find out what happened, if they could reship it. First they’re like, what the hell is this, then they said they’d ship it but wouldn’t take it off my card. I said just take it off my card, but he couldn’t do that, and said i shouldn’t yell at him (he wasn’t listening to my story at all, said he had no record of the package being returned.) I called back and asked to speak to a manager. Turns out it was the owner, and he said he wasn’t going to ship me anything then started calling me a liar, conniver, all kinds of things that I’m still shaken about, that he would “ruin my credit”. So do I want it or not. Sure, may as well get what I spent my money on. I asked why they’re so rude to their customers. I now have a tracking number from Fed X so I have proof that my package was sent back to them. I hope that they don’t send it, so I can dispute the bill and let the credit card company deal with it. How I wish I’d just said “no” to the upgrade or canceled the order. I’ve been distressed about it after an exhausting vacation, and am thinking of filing suit for mental and emotional abuse.

BEWARE OF WAWA DIGITAL!!!!!!!
    Just got off of the phone with WAWA DIGITAL “Customer Service”. James, who claims he is the owner was so abusive to me when I said that I didn’t want any additional accessories with my camera. He said that I would have to pay a 20% restocking fee and if I didn’t take everyhting I go NOTHING!!!! What an unbelievalble experience. They need to be shut down. DO NOT BUT anything from their shady business!!!!

Is this really a surprise???

You idiots who deal with companies like this, just to save a few pennies deserve it…

Oh, and if you give me your bank account information, I’ll deposit $40 million tomorrow and you can keep 75% for your troubles…

Fucking dumbasses….

They should be treatet like criminals.

I ordered a camera from wawadigital. When I called to confirm the order, he tried to sell me memory cards. Said I didn’t need. Then he told me the camera I bought was a referbished one – not a new one. I wanted to cancel. The guy on phone goes, “Why are you asking stupid questions?”. I said that I will ask stupid questions until I get a bright answer!!

I canceled the order, thus the support person called me a fucking faggot!! Great Camera Store!!

STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS ONE!!!!!

Hey! Thanks for this post. I was just about to buy a dirt cheap camera from wawa. Your post and all the comments really helped me out.

Peace
    Mohammed

66. al303 says:

Just got off the phone with WaWaDigital(1-866-722-7209). They called to confirm an order I had place yesterday. The salesman tried to sell me an expensive second battery to go with my original camera order. When I told him I was not interested for the third time, he says ” F@#K YOU FAGGOT, I’M CANCELING YOUR ORDER, DON’T EVER ORDER FROM US AGAIN!” and hangs the phone up on me.

Be VERY carefull when ordering from this company. I am in the process of contacting the New York Attorney Generals office to file a complaint. I only wish I had found this web page before I place my order.

Al

I tried to order a digital camera from these scum bags. Got called by their sales rep who tried to sell me accessories I didn’t need. When I politely refused he said “you’ll have your camera in a few days” and hung up the phone. Within ten minutes I received an email saying my order had been cancelled because the camera was out of stock.

Due to the shadiness of the whole experience, I went to the web to do more research. Imagine my horror when I read reviews on http://www.epinions.com or http://www.resellerratings.com about these guys making fraudulent credit card charges. I immediately called my credit card company and put my card on fraud alert (14 years with the same card and I have never yet had a fraudulent charge).

Well just like clockwork, I get a call from my credit card company today telling me that someone was trying to make international charges on my card. Fortunately we caught them in the act and they didn’t get to charge my card. I am in the process of delivering a notarized statement to try to get these guys prosecuted.

I would HIGHLY recommend you go ANYWHERE else to do business.

I was reading your comments about abusive camera salesmen. I recently bought a camera and some lenses from Best Price Cameras. I asked what type of lenses I was purchasing and the salesman told me, “Canon autofocus”. Believing that I was purchasing a 20D Canon digital camera with 2 canon lenses I placed an order. When the camera arrived, the lenses were Sigma. When I called the company to send them back I went from one supervisor to the next, with each becoming more aggressive, abusive, and rude. I was called a liar. Frank, the reported highest ranking superivsor told me there was no owner or president of the company and that he did not have a supervisor. And he called me the liar? Oh, and then he hung up on me. They gave me a shipping number to return the item, but unfortunately, notified me that they would be charging me a 10% restock fee. My advice is to avoid Best Price Cameras in Brooklyn NY at all costs!

69. TheBloom says:

WaWaDigital…BEWARE !!!
    In the past, I have bought many things over the internet. Also, I have bought many big ticket items and had very few problems with the merchants.
    Except for WAWADigital…they have the worst customer service department. Individuals there are arrogant and will not return calls or emails.
    I ordered a camera, memory stick, quick power battery charger and other items because I thought the prices were unbelievable! Also, I wanted the special next day delivery and paid the price, too. Guess what? I did not receive my merchandise. Called customer service and was told that the merchandise will go out on special ‘Saturday Delivery’ by UPS. It never arrived and they will not answer phones on weekends. On Monday, I called and the individual there told me that they did not have it in stock!! Requested cancellation and confirmation. The Rep. hung up on me! Again, I called and asked for some kind of confirmation and the Rep. said, ‘we do not send email nor give confirmation numbers and hung up’. No apologies or expressed any type of concerns on the order (I purchased the camera for my son as a graduation gift and you can imagine the disappointment).
    Do not take any chances with this merchant…you will dread the service and they do not care.

70. TheBloom says:

WaWaDigital—-BEWARE!!!

71. TheBloom says:

WaWaDigital

72. Kim says:

HELP – I know I should have searched online about this place first – ok I didn’t. I ordered a camera Friday and they called Sunday to confirm. I confirmed and then today something didn’t hit right. So I tried finding the site online – NOT THERE! Fortunately I remembered the phone number and called – asked if it was shipped – they said tomorrow. Called back to cancel and was told it was shipped – I asked what is the tracking number and they said they didn’t have it. WHAT ..everyone gets a tracking number period! Call back tomorrow for one they said. It was 8:30 and they don’t give them out this time – well it was ONLY 8:10 so why NOT. I kept yelling at them I wanted one. They wouldn’t budge so then I told them I’d report them to the BBB and refute the charges – they said GO AHEAD! HELP am I screwed that money?

73. Fred says:

My shopping experiance with wawa digital was quite fine. I got everything i ordered- my camera, memory card and my warranty…i received my package within 3 days…fred

I can not believe that this company is allowed to continue doing this. I know I should have researched first but everything seemed legit. WaWa’s toll free # is 866-722-7209. When I didn’t order the warrenty I was told that the camera was no longer sold by this company (keep in mind they already have my cc#) I will never again trust an online retailer. When I asked a “manager” for their co info I was told that it was none of my business. Come on law enforcement…….. Protect the consumers not the crooks. Go to WaWa’s home page and their privacy and legal statements look like they were typed by a 2yr old…………..

Thanks to all for the blogging.I was about buy a digi cam from stargate seeing their unmatchable low price.Have changed my mind now.

76. Jimmy says:

Hey,

If anyone wants to talk about how these guys screwed them, drop me a line. I’m a reporter for the NY Daily News, and would love to talk to you.
    Jimmy Vielkind
    jimmy.vielkind@gmail.com

77. joann says:

I was also ripped of by wawa. They are selling refurba as new. When I order I asked 3 times if the camera was new and they said yes. When I got the camera it was a refurb and parts were missing. I called them back they first said I should have been told teh second time they said refurbs are better than new. I stopped calling after that because I felt threatened and was screamed at by JAMES. My complaint is now with the brooklyn atty general frauds dept. I also had a problem with someone giving out charge card # that was used in a fraud and I think they gave out my number. The salesperson(James) got angry at me and started to get threating attitude

Hey there people with the nice comments about JEWS… stick a relatively smelly sock in it.

There are MANY scum like this that are NOT Jewish. You find this disgusting example and you automatically put it on all of Jews? Grow up and open your mind a bit.

Jewish people are as much pissed about this guy as you are. If I met that Wawa dude he would learn his lesson.

And to the genius that said “GOY” means cattle in jewish lingo — It’s quite possible you think like one, but “GOY” means “Nation” in hebrew. Check it out — http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goy.

Love,
    Jewish dude.

79. ghengis says:

Wow, I should have seen this blog before my recent experience buying a camera. I found the cheapest price thedigitalexpo.com and I placed an order on their web form. At the top of the completed form, it asked me to call 1-800-957-6628 to place the order. The next morning, I did that and got extension 203 “Jeffrey.” He gave me the tale that the battery would last only minutes and that I needed a four-hour battery. He then said that I needed 2gb memory. Thinking that I was dealing with a responsible store, I agreed. Then I asked the price and found that the total bill was $783.16 for a camera that was listed as $453.90. I tried to cancel the order but was told that my credit card had been charged and the package was being prepared. When I got the package, it included a battery that can be bought for about $15 anywhere and an outdated 2GB memory chip the new version of which is available for about $60 everywhere. The invoice with the package is NOT from thedigital expo but from “The Camera Whiz,” with the same phone number as “the digitalexpo” The invoice says that the purchase is a “value package” and lists no individual prices. When I called to complain, Jeffrey had an answer for everything but obviously is an expert bait and switch artist.

Stay clear of both the Camera Whiz and the Digital Expo.

80. ghengis says:

Wow, I should have seen this blog before my recent experience buying a camera. I found the cheapest price “digitalexpo” and I placed an order on their web form. At the top of the completed form, it asked me to call 1-800-957-6628 to place the order. The next morning, I did that and got extension 203 “Jeffrey.” He gave me the tale that the battery would last only minutes and that I needed a four-hour battery. He then said that I needed 2gb memory. Thinking that I was dealing with a responsible store, I agreed. Then I asked the price and found that the total bill was $783.16 for a camera that was listed as $453.90. I tried to cancel the order but was told that my credit card had been charged and the package was being prepared. When I got the package, it included a battery that can be bought for about $15 anywhere and an outdated 2GB memory chip the new version of which is available for about $60 everywhere. The invoice with the package is NOT from “thedigital expo” but from “The Camera Whiz, with the same phone number as “the digitalexpo” The invoice says that the purchas is a “value package” and lists no individual prices. When I called to complain, Jeffrey had an answer for everything but obviously is an expert bait and switch artist.

Stay clear of both the Camera Whiz and the Digital Expo.

81. ghengis says:

Stay clear of both the Camera Whiz and the Digital Expo.

82. Jake says:

I’m out in the Midwest and have just had a non-greased boinking by TheDigitalExpo com/AKA The Camera Whiz.

I didn’t like the way I was treated after the order (7 Mar 07) by William. Unfortunately it was past 3PM MST and I couldn’t call them back. Sick kids had to go to the Doc’s Office.

So I call back this morning. I spoke with James the owner. Telling him what I found on the net and I wanted to cancel my order. “It’s already been shipped. It’s all new, not refurbed and you can call the manufacturer and verify your warranty with them. Full US Warranty.”

James sounds just like William who sounds just like the guy on the threatening tape. I do hear the NY Accent but something in his language usage and pronounciation (sp?) makes me think that English isn’t the first language.

So I figure we’ll see what happens. I don’t want to be out almost $800 but on the flip side, it’s extra money I won’t miss, so I can afford to go to dispute resolution with Visa and my Bank, the BBB, and everyone else.

I also called my bank and had them scrap my card for fraud. So even if DigitalWaStarlightExpoCrooks wants to try to use it again. Go ahead. It’s no good anymore. I have credit monitoring because an old job lost a laptop with my healthcare info so I know anything that tries to get reported to my credit the minute it happens. And I’ve got 3 years left on the deal!

Go ahead and let them come. I’m ready and am compiling everything since I’m home with a sick little one who’s sleeping the day away.

Long story short. I won’t be a cheap ass any more. But I’m ready for this if I don’t get what I was told I’d receive.

Thanks to all of you who’ve gone before and given me this giant platform to start from. I hope every thing that happened turned out OK for all of you.

All of these camera outfits are run by yeshivish and Chassidic Jews from the ultra-orthodox Jewish Brooklyn neighborhoods of Williamsburg, Borough Park, and Flatbush. Unfortunately, these sects are taught as part of their yeshiva training and ultra-orthodox Jewish upbringing, reinforced by their religious writings (Rambam, Rabbi Joseph Karo, Talmud etc) that cheating non-Jews is not a sin for which they are responsible before God, and thus, they have free reign to engage in seedy practices in their dealings with gentiles. In fact, the dishonest culture of the New York orthodox Jewish communities is turning inward upon itself. A rash of sexual abuse cases of day-school teachers raping boys has recently achieved much publicity. I am a yeshiva trained former-Jew (disgusted with the “New York culture), so I do know what I’m speaking of.

84. This site is so nice. Really i’ve been checkit for a wile. Here’s some info about the Sony Ericsson tennis tournament history. If you like to visit my page it will be a pleasure. Or if know some one that likes to know about this, givethem this link. Will be nice to had some users like you with sites as good as yours. On August 29, 2006 Sony Ericsson Mobile Communications announced the signing of a four year contract worth $20 million to become the title sponsor of the Sony Ericsson Open. The Sony Ericsson Open is currently the largest tournament in the world with Title Sponsorship. When Butch Buchholz established the event in 1985, it marked the first time in 56 years that a new two-week tournament featuring men and women was launched. Located in Delray Beach (Laver’s International Tennis Center) in 1985 and Boca Raton (Boca West) in 1986, the tournament found a permanent home in 1987 on Miami’s Key Biscayne. In 1994, Miami-Dade County christened the Tennis Center at Crandon Park, a 30-acre expanse that is transformed each year from a public tennis facility into a full-fledged festival for the Sony Ericsson Open. The Sony Ericsson Open was awarded “Tournament of the Year” by the ATP for five consecutive years and seven of the last eight years and in 2004 by the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour and is considered one of the most prestigious titles in professional tennis. In 1999, the tournament was purchased by IMG.
    The only combined 12-day Tennis Masters Series event on the ATP and Sony Ericsson WTA Tour calendar, the Sony Ericsson Open features the world’s top-ranked pros – 96 men and 96 women in singles competition, and 32 men’s teams and 32 women’s teams in doubles action. The men’s final is a best 3-out-of-5 sets with every other match in both men’s and women’s singles and doubles a best 2-out-of-3.We specialize in hard to find or sold-out sports tickets, concert tickets and theatertickets for sporting and entertainment events worldwide. We provide great service whether you want to buy tickets or sell ticket. We buy and sell sports tickets, concert tickets and theater tickets on the secondary market such as Sony-Ericsson tennis tickets, US Open and othertennis open event tickets. We are not affiliated with or sponsored by any of the teams, performers, artists, box offices, venues or organizations for which we are providers. Trademarks and trade names have been used within this web site for descriptive purposes only. If you would like to buy tickets from the official distribution outlets, venues or organization box offices, please inquire directly with them.
    The best place to obtain tickets for: Sony ericsson open, NCAA Final Tournament Four, acc tournament, big east tournament, at: http://www.ticketsofamerica.com

Recently I was buying digital rebel xti for my brother, he found the web-sites, I was just paying. I think they belong to the scam buisnesses cuz it didn’t work well. I had to cancel my order twice cuz they were trying to give me something else than we ordered. The same story with trying to sell me more stuff, like additional battery for $150 cuz they said that the one that originaly comes with the camera lasts only 15min!!!… yeah, right. I’m not that stupid. And after placing the order, “confirming” it several times, and waiting for it I was informed that either part or all of my order is currently out of stock and I will have to wait a month or could get diff. lense (instead of $470-560 lens a less than $150 one!!!!!). Out of stock -problem occured the secon time even when at the beginning I was asured that there will be no problem and my order will be shipped right away. Never got it and canceled my order again, this time with 1wayphoto.com. The last time the guy was really rude but I know how to deal with assholes.
    That’s why I’m checking this site. I think we should do something with those bastards. My experience was not as bad as others but I have wasted my time and my brother is really dissapointed. (by the way I’m canceling my credit card).
    As someone suggested we could annoy them with fake orders, occupying their lines, asking 100′s of questions and buying NADA!!!!
    I will also contact the guy from Daily News, and report them to frauds dept.
    But most of all tell ALL the people you know abouth their nasty practices, the only way to kick them out of the buissness is to make sure no one will buy a single thing from them!!!!
    Fotoconnection and 1wayphoto are scum!!!!! Don’t buy with them!!!!!!!

Best Price Cameras just pulled the bait and switch on me, refused to take my cancellation, and charged my credit card. They were kind enough to send me a faxed copy of a “shipping order” that showed they were sending me lenses for a digital SLR that I didn’t order. I filed with BBB and reversed the charges on my card.

I’m Jewish. My name is obviously a Jewish name. This is not a Hasidic Jew thing. They are cheating Jews just like everyone else. In fact, if the info that BBB has on Best Price Cameras is correct, the owners are not obviously Jewish.

I’d like to get away from religious profiling and get back to shutting down these “bait and switch” operations, which these blogs are helping to do.

A CONSUMER SCAM ALERT!!! 1WAYPHOTO.COM IN NEW YORK

ORDER #:53260-99767221-WO

A website called 1wayphoto.com IN NEW YORK, 5409 18TH AVE BROOKLYN, NY 11204 1-800-728-9461 ripped us off, and many others…. we have a receipt for our purchase of $1,996.91 but they charged our credit card $2,959.97. That means they over charged us $963.06. We have already filed a complaint with the FBI fraud division, the attorney generals office and other organizations. There are numerous complaints on file in New York BBB about this company. They sent us cheap equipment that we never ordered, and the equipment did not come from Panasonic, its some cheap knock off brand. We only paid for a camera some high end, high quality accessories, but that is NOT what we received. We want our money back $963.06. We want our $963.06 back, I did research online by typing in fraud and 1wayphoto.com, I read an amazing amount of complaints using the same bait and switch scam on several other customers. So I am not the first, but we want our money back. Times are too hard to loose money off of a scam. We only wanted the camera. They seemed shady when we had to "verify" our credit card security number with a phone call. Most companies can do this from the shopping cart online, thats the purpose of the code so you DONT have to verify the code over the phone. When I talked to Michael he tried to sell me 2 other high priced cameras. I told him no thank you and that we were only calling to verify our credit card. He seemed a bit rude after that point. We paid $147.92 for 1 day delivery and when I got the box it had our camera plus extra items that I never ordered, and the items we did order was not in the box. They tried to trick us into buy extra equipment and accessories and we declined and then they tried to make us feel bad for making the purchase that we did by talking bad about the camera we had just purchased from them, they said that they could sell us another camera that was better, I was firm about the sell because that is a camera that we wanted and was recommended by a friend. The Panasonic AG-DVX100b, all we wanted was the camera. They sent us a receipt for our purchase of $1,996.91 and they sent another email stating we had to verify our credit card. $1,996.91 was all that we had $2,000.00 was the limit that we had on our card, they over charged us by $963.06!!!!!! We ordered a so called Platinum Package Qty:1 $749.99 and there are several items missing from the package…. and the parts that came with the camera are the cheapest parts you can buy. Something you could buy at a grocery store vs a high end camera store. We not only want our money back but we want to prevent others from falling pray to this scam!!!!!

1wayphoto is actually lensesnmore (see this post) which specializes in bait and switch. Read the horror stories about 1 Way Photo (www.1wayphoto) on reseller ratings here. Per the New York Better Business Bureau:

1WAYPHOTO.COM

Additional Business Names:

1 Way Photo

J & V, Inc

Jack Silver Photo

Address:

5409 18th Avenue

Brooklyn , NY 11204

View Location Map

Phone Number:

(800) 728-9461

Additional Phone Numbers:

(718) 236-3207

Website:

Complaints filed with the BBB indicate that 1WayPhoto employs bait and switch tactics in order to sell extra merchandise or higher priced merchandise to customers. Consumers report that after they place an order on-line they confirm their order over the phone and that while confirming the firm offers lenses, chargers, and warranties to “upgrade” their orders. When consumers decline to purchase the extra products, they are told the item they wanted is on backorder even though the website maintains that the item is in stock. Consumers who do complete their purchases allege that they are grossly over-charged for their orders. They are sent an incomplete invoice without an itemized list of charges making it impossible to know what exactly they are being charged for.

88. That’s how you know a camera charger is good. Exceptional beauty!

89. When I got the package, it included a battery that can be bought for about $15 anywhere and an outdated 2GB memory chip the new version of which is available for about $60 everywhere.

90. Holly says:

Hi, My boyfriend and I had to deal with Wawa Digital about 2-3 years ago. I DID file a complaint with the police in New York and nothing happened. I read a lot of stuff on them, and I think the police are afraid of them. They are a gang. Because New York worries more about welfare benefits than law enforcement, the rest of the country gets scammed out of money by these jerks.
    They threatened to “make me cry” and “make me sorry”, because I told them that we were cancelling our order and we were not paying their made up cancellation fee, and if they charged our credit card number, we were suing. At first they werent afraid, but when I told them we were in the military and got free legal services, they were quiet and then hung up.
    It is organized crime and I wouldnt be surprised if dirty cops were involved.

91. Dalia says:

Why in the first place you go to places like this to buy stuff???

92. lwkeqlke says:

I would HIGHLY recommend you go ANYWHERE else to do business. baidu

93. That kind of behavior should be punished–and it is a criminal chi ceramic hair straightener

94. UGG London says:

Good, I like it, Is very beauty .

95. Good, I like it, Is very beauty .

96. pizza says:

Good, I like it, Is very beauty .

97. That’s crazy, don’t buy to that place again!

98. michael says:

I got burned by Video Photo Superstore. Same scam as you mention, cheap camera and overpriced accessories. Reported to BBB. Isn’t there something more we can do to put these guys out of business?

99. dog clothing says:

100. Assupsdam says:

[url=http://www.zse.nowytarg.pl/nauczanie/moodle/z/d9df5-soma-overnight-cheap.php]aura soma karten online legen[/url] soma beverage from india = [url=http://elo.dorenweerd.nl/z/0be1-buy-soma-with-online-prescription.php]overnight soma cheap[/url] soma fedex = [url=http://www.fjs-torredeita.com.pt/moodle/z/99d7-soma-180-overnight.php]purchase soma without prescription[/url] fedex soma legal = [url=http://moodle.lopionki.pl/z/5472-soma-ship-to-florida.php]buy watson soma[/url] internet prescriptions for soma = [url=http://moodle.queensburyschool.org/twt/z/beba8-buy-soma-c-o-d.php]buy cash delivery soma[/url] watson soma overnight

101. james says:

The trouble with searching on the net for a camera is that too many online camera stores. hometheaters

102. Alendouro says:

Nice blog, eu acho que vão assiná-lo. E não se esqueça, se você precisar de folhetins para o AutoCAD, você pode sempre levá-los a partir daqui, eles realmente funcionam (nota: Eu não sou afiliada de qualquer forma)