The Architecture of Susan Desko — 30 Cheval, Bellevue, Idaho

30 Cheval, Bellevue Idaho, Architect Susan Desko

Last month I had a wonderful opportunity to photograph one of the great unfinished homes of America, 30 Cheval in Bellevue, Idaho.

The house was designed by architect Susan Desko, a local Sun Valley, architect, who was one of the designers who worked on the famous Frank Gehry project, the Lewis House. For those of you who haven’t seen the documentary on Gehry’s work, A Constructive Madness: Wherein Frank Gehry and Peter Lewis Spend a Fortune and a Decade… End Up With Nothing and Change the World, on the Lewis House, definitely check it out. Susan and her work with Gehry are featured in that film.

30 Cheval is a remarkable home that was started but never completed, an unfinished masterpiece in the middle of Idaho. Construction has stopped on the home at this point leaving behind this grand structure high in the mountains of America. Hopefully someday someone will purchase it and finish Susan’s bold designs. The home has spectacular views, especially from the olympic length swimming pool up on the roof cantilevered above the home.

I’ll upload more photos of the home over time, but here are 25 photographs of this amazing property now. Thanks to my pal Scott Jordan for taking me to this fantastical work of art and introducing me to Susan.

Scott’s dog Susie visited the home with us. 🙂

30 Cheval, Sun Valley Idaho
The Idaho view from the full olympic length swimming pool.

Scott Jordan and Susan Desko, Bellevue, Washington, 2013
30 Cheval architect Susan Desko with Scott Jordan and his dog Susie.

1. Jeff Faulkner says:

Thomas, amazing pictures of beautiful architecture!
    Thanks for the great blog post!
    Jeff

2. isidro garcia says:

I second that Jeff. Really amazing architecture Scott. Wish you had purchased it.

3. Scott Jordan says:

Amazing pictures and house.

4. You are awesome! I love ’em!

Trey, we should get a few others together and set up a hippie photographers commune in Idaho. 😉

6. Barry Kidd says:

Thomas:

That’s a really cool place. Perhaps not my own style but I can see the creativity for sure. Perhaps if I have 80 million to just toss to the wind my style would be a bit more exotic but who knows?

I did take time out to watch the video and was ready disappointed that it just ended. CHOP!

Anyway, I love the fisheye shots. The strange angles and design plays well with the fisheye. They make me want to go find something cool to shoot right now but all I have here at the moment are the straight lines of suburbia. Oh well, perhaps another day.

Thank you for sharing and have a happy day and enjoy that commune,

Barry

7. Luke Zeme says:

Great work and you have strengthened my NEED, not want, for a fisheye lens even further with all your amazing images.

Nice to see a body of your work too

8. Barry Kidd says:

I was going to subscribe to your RSS feed but the link at the top of the page seems to be out of whack.

Just passing the good word,

Barry

9. Barry Kidd says:

Scratch that last comment. It didn’t work with Chrome but I got it to work with Firefox.

Barry

10. martin says:

fantastic insights with your lens Thomas – thanks for taking us there 🙂

11. Steven House says:

Superb shots and very interesting place.

Next up. Try this http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2013/apr/10/paolo-soleri-architect-dies-93

I’m sure you’ll find it interesting too.