On Facebook, The Square Format Photo is Now the King

On Facebook the Square Photo is Now the King

I’ve been using the new Facebook News Feed for a little while now. One of the things I noticed about it today (and maybe new even since the News Feed launch) is that square photos are now king on Facebook.

What do I mean by this? Square photos are the largest sized photos in the new Facebook News Feed. This is similar to how Flickr shows photos in our Flickrstreams.

Google+ on the other hand tries to squeeze a square photo into a horizontal photo envelope, which makes the square photo on Google+ have little side bars on it and looks awkward, smaller and ugly.

I, for one, welcome the new square format as the king of Facebook. The square crop is my favorite. What’s your favorite crop?

You can find me on Facebook here. :)

12 comments on “On Facebook, The Square Format Photo is Now the King
  1. Sergey Sus says:

Dont know how you have the time for every social network Thomas.

I like the idea of square format and it could be that Facebook is adopting the “Instagram look” or blending the two.

I have not yet been able to grasp nor use Facebook for anything meaningful. I keep going there just to see what my friends are trying to sell to me.

Cheers,
    Sergey

2. Mark says:

I haven’t explored the new news feed yet, but that looks really cool. I enjoy a nice wide scene, but I enjoy the square as well. I think I’ll be looking to upload more square cropped images to Facebook now. He he.

3. I, for one, welcome our new Square Crop overlords… or “Sqrop” as they prefer to be addressed.
    Long live Sqrop.

Which will lead into easy formatting multiple images into sets/arrangements of 4, or 6, 8, 9, etc.

Interesting..

4. T.J. Powell says:

I love the square crop too. I use it on most of my mobile photography.

5. Love square crop, especially when photographers use it as the only ratio, like Cuba Gallery on flickr. I have tried using the square only for my landscapes, but it’s pretty hard to do.

Instagram changed the view from people on square crop, they forget it has been here forever. A good square crop is just gorgeous.

I hope g+ will copy this bit back from facebook and make square more present.

6. Clearlight says:

I favorite crop is whichever one I decide works best for a particular image. I also think that these multi-billion dollar social networks have the necessary resources to provide for image display in whatever aspect ratio the user chooses without some wonky workaround.

7. And to prove you right, please visit the only online magazine dedicated to the square format. It’s free, it’s quarterly, it’s in 4 languages. http://www.squaremag.org

Hope you like what you see.

8. Paul Glover says:

Well, since my favorite camera right now is a 6×6 Yashica TLR, square will do me just fine!

9. Original capture aspect ratio aside, the respective image suggests the crop for me.

10. one of my math teacher used to say that the problem should tell you the path how to solve it. You just adapt to its language. that’s your learning.

imao, the picture should choose its own crop and frame. i just try to “listen” from itself. Yeah, i’m not that good at listening yet … :(

11. horqua says:

I’m currently a Nikon user and I love digital but at one time I was a Hasselblad shooter for a number of years and I loved the square format. It did require some time to get used to. But I learned how to crop, first in the camera, and then on the negative. As far as I can tell, there are very few square format digitals that are affordable by the amateur, semi-pro or pro. Hasselblad’s current square-format digital systems are so far out of my price range that I can only hope to own one if I win the PowerBall. Nikon and Canon should consider the square-shooter in their next generation of digitals. It’s also unfortunate that Hassy or another company couldn’t figure out how to affordably retro-fit digital backs onto their older 500CM bodies. I know that Leaf and others make backs, but again the price is well above my pay grade. I struggled to come up with the $2000 to buy my first body, prism, back, and lens and that was thirty years ago. $10K+ now is just way over the top.

12. Cate says:

I like the square crop too, but I suppose its the composition that drives the choice. We are trained so early to think portrait or landscape and build the compositions that way. Going ‘square’ makes me think more about how I’m setting up the shot. Then again, maybe I’m just overthinking. :-)