Flickr vs. Google+ Unique U.S. Visitors Last One Year

Flickr vs Google Plus, Last One Year

9 comments on “Flickr vs. Google+ Unique U.S. Visitors Last One Year
  1. Matt says:

Hard to argue with those charts. I think Google should hire you for PR work.
    Actually, maybe flickr should – they need it!

2. Shayne says:

Apples to Oranges. One is a full featured social network while the other is for picture sharing.

Shayne, it depends on how you use them. For me and a ton of other photographers both are for picture sharing.

4. Justin says:

I don’t think that the two charts tell the story of flikr falling to google plus. The story of flickr’s demise is so much more complicated. Why just google plus? What about facebook, instagram, etc. What if people are just less tied to flickr as a photo sharing service but haven’t stopped using it? The unique visitor metric doesn’t quite capture what we need to know. I agree that flickr is stagnant though.

5. Richard says:

This is misleading at first glance. The ordinate axes are scaled differently.

6. I agree that this charts compare “Apples to Oranges”, but what they show us is a trending. G+ is growing because it is doing its “homework”, fine tuning and expanding the platform to make it a better place to interact.
    On the other hand, Flickr isn’t doing anything, and just looks like a ghost town to me. Maybe I don’t use it the right way, but it doesn’t matter how many images I upload, how many comments I drop, or how many groups I join, I have to be happy when I reach the 10 views mark.

Shayne, apples and oranges indeed and it seems like people are eating a lot less apples these days and a lot more oranges instead.

8. Rob says:

Definitely apples and oranges. One is a social network not just centred around photos. I’m sure facebook has even more traffic, yet in terms of photography it doesn’t really go beyond smartphone snappers.

It is interesting that flickr’s stats are on the way down though. That doesn’t bother me too much. It’s not what I use flickr for. If I want people to see a certain photo, I just notify a link to it across my social network accounts.

9. Jim says:

I guess I just don’t “get G+”. I have both, a G+ and flickr (pro) account. I’ve been on flickr for a number of years and, franky, have learned a ton through the use of the forums (groups I think they call them). I’m also on facebook — been there for a year or two now. Ever since starting to use fb my use of flickr has dwindled but still – I can post a photo to flickr and get a 100 page views on it within a relatively short period of time (couple of days, sometimes even less). I post a photo to G+ and it is like posting it into the void of a black hole.

G+ seems to be where all the “cool kids” hang out and they seem to be digging it. I’m just not cool I guess and well, like I said, I (apparently) just don’t “get it”. I occasionally post a question on G+ – and rarely, if ever, get any feedback. I post a photo – no clue if anyone actually see’s it. I post the same to FB or flickr – I get feedback.

Different strokes for different folks. {shrug shoulders}