Hey Maryland Transit Police, Photography is Not a Crime

16 comments on “Hey Maryland Transit Police, Photography is Not a Crime
  1. I’m waiting for the police to do this to a lawyer with a camera. I’d love to hear that conversation.

2. John says:

A pissing contest that the cops weren’t gonna lose, which they did anyway. My guess is that the law the police cite about not recording someone without permission applies to private citizens, but not to public servants and certainly not to the police. The photographer is much too accommodating and compliant, in my opinion.

3. Paul Parkinson says:

These people are still putting out the same old schtick. Sue the bastards for everything they have. Sue them. Sue them until they understand it is LEGAL…

4. Michael says:

He made the papers –

MTA warned: Let photographers shoot
    ACLU tells agency police can’t forbid taking pictures

5. http://mta.maryland.gov/filmphotoapp.cfm

It’s all laid out there in plain English:

“No permit required: A permit is not required for non-commercial, personal-use filming or photography by the general public that does not interfere with transit operations or safety.”

6. Michael says:

This isn’t a big deal. If he wasn’t a criminal he should have just given his id and been on his way. The cops were totally polite and non-threatening I don’t even understand why I just watched that.

7. Paul Parkinson says:

@Michael Why should he Michael? He’s doing nothing wrong. He is completely within the law. No need to show a policeman or pseudo-policeman anything. Please don’t trot out the “If you’ve got nothing to hide, you’ve got nothing to fear” BS.

8. William Beem says:

Michael: I’m most afraid of people like you.

9. Tommy C says:

Baltimore should be happy at least one person wants to take pictures in the dump of a town.
    And really, are these guys real cops? seem like glorified rent-a-cops to me. A bunch of guys making with a 5 figure income and 2 digit IQ.

10. shocked at this says:

So the guys (officers) explain the whole reason they are stopping him, are extremely polite and even let him know that it’s not their rules but rules/regs (but brought on by the officials elected by people like him) and after all that this guy continues to be an ass?

Seriously… this guy is just trying to be a tool, no wonder your government keeps on adding these stupid acts to the law books.

Giving photogs a bad name everywhere, no wonder people get hassled all the time :(

ARghh… grow up buddy, you obviously spent a lot of time creating this and state you know the legislation… trying to make a point you’re just trying to make us all look like idiots?

11. Niels says:

@shocked at this: The point he is trying to make here, as is mostly everybody else, is, that there are NO rules, that forbid photographing. He is NOT braking any rule or law, made by whoever.
    So I see no point for the cops to check on him.
    And even if they want to check on him, the only reason they have would be to ensure that he is not endangering other people or conflicting with the transportation system (which he isn’t).
    On the other hand, the lady who crosses the tracks right behind the train.She is definitely endangering herself.

And in a free country such as the USA, it is an essential component of your and everybody’s freedom, to NO have to show someone your ID when there is not reason for it.

So please, don’t ask us to grow up. These are the events that happen in dictatorships everyday. You get arrested for doing nothing wrong, but for being different and most important, enforcing your right. And I’m not saying that the USA are a dictatorship, NOT at all.

But a lot of steps, that law makers have taken so far, are leading in the direction of restricting personal freedom under the cover of higher security for the people. It is more than OK for them to check if he is doing anything illegal, but as soon as they realize he is just taking pictures, that’s when they should have left (because it is completely legal).

Take care and you all be safe out there from the real crimes !
    Kind regards
    Niels

12. S says:

The only molehill being made into a mountain was created by every ignorant officer in this film. That or they lied to this man to intimidate him. They have blown this into what it is by over-asserting their office. God save us from public servants just doing their job.

13. Lynda Park says:

I guess I’ll be the devil’s advocate here. As a former affiliate of Dept of Homeland Security & married to a prosecutor for same, I agree that filming trains, airports, bridges, etc., while scenic or pleasurable, is suspect. It HAS to be-is that soooo hard to understand?? This guy should have shown his ID (I have to-anyone does when a cop asks for it,) been happy w/the film he got & moved along. In my opinion the cops were courteous to a fault,& repeated their requests many more times than most would b4 laying a nightstick upside your head.I know the ACLU will crawl all over me but if u can’t understand the officers’ concerns, check out national news…might learn something. In Memphis, the FedEx ctr of the world, has built a “great wall of China” around their hub for just this reason. Since they’re located on airport property, the wall had to be built to keep people on the freeway from seeing what’s going on. Memphis is ranked 22 out of 200 cities in the US as a likely terrorist target so I understand and agree w/not photographing or filming anything that could be a target. This could have been over in 1 minute by doing what the officers asked, and showing his ID – the photog started this pissin contest..just another opinion. I know, Iknow, we’ve all got one, so spare me..

14. Lynda says:

15. Ethan Beute says:

I’m shocked that this recording (and his equipment) did not get destroyed. These cases are growing more and more frequent – and remain disturbing.

16. John says:

thats some straight up bullshit check the news the next attack they stated will be on transit system these officers are doing there job to protect and find out why the hell is this handicap mofo needs picture for the train, come on are we kidding ourself he just wanted to make some money. people have so much time to play with the law