MP Stopped by Police on Suspicion of Being a Terrorist – for taking photos of a cycle path | Mail Online

MP stopped by police on suspicion of being a terrorist – for taking photos of a cycle path | Mail Online

“A Tory MP was stopped and searched by police on suspicion of being a terrorist after taking photos of a cycle path, he revealed yesterday.

Andrew Pelling was taking the pictures to highlight a ‘long-neglected bicycle and pedestrian route’ in his Central Croydon constituency to Parliamentary colleagues.

But as the cycle path was near the town’s main train station, two police officers stopped him on suspicion of planning a terrorist attack.

Even when Mr Pelling, 48, showed the officers his House of Commons pass and explained what he was doing, they insisted on searching his bag.

After finding nothing of interest they sent the MP on his way. A police spokesman confirmed the December 30 incident, saying: ‘The officer conducted a stop-and-search – taking into account the current terror threat – as he (Mr Pelling) was taking pictures in the vicinity of a major transport hub.’ “

Thanks, David!

No Comments

1. Duncan says:

So ridiculous.

I there a reason you censored this paragragh from your quote?
    “Mr Pelling has, however, taken a positive approach to the police’s decision to search him over the cycle path pictures.

He told the Croydon Guardian last night: ‘It is pleasing to see just how vigilant our police are at these times of heightened international political tension and the risk of terrorism here at home.

‘I am glad my stop-and-search account as a white, middle-aged male shows that anyone can be suspected of, and questioned about, terrorism, regardless of race, creed or colour.'”

Anonymous, I didn’t “censor” anything. I published the first part of the article with a link to the article in it’s entirety that people could click through on. Typically I don’t republish 100% of articles here at my blog.

4. Pierre says:

“I am glad my stop-and-search account as a white, middle-aged male shows that anyone can be suspected of, and questioned about, terrorism, regardless of race, creed or colour.”

That comment shows how witless this MP is. Profiling doesn’t need to be racial, but stopping and searching someone has to be based one something or it is utterly useless. What a twat. Basically he’s OK with his civil rights being violated as long as it’s done in a politically correct manner.

Idiot.

Pierre

5. MarkF says:

Completely amazing – I wonder what will happen everytime I go out with a camera now.

6. Brad says:

>>> I wonder what will happen everytime I go out with a camera now.

Well, if you press the shutter release, you'll get pictures.

That's all that's happened to me after at least 100K snaps on the streets in San Francisco…

7. scott says:

Pierre is right. Feeling good about mindless authoritarianism is stupid. And Britain seems to be leading the charge towards police states as normal institutions in formerly “free” countries.

Terrorism is going to enslave us not by the actions themselves, but the reactions to it.

8. Steve says:

I agree with Pierre. There wasn’t any ‘just cause’ for the cops to question this guy, and this guy is too dumb to realise it. Glad I’m not in his constituency …. and if I was, I wouldn’t vote for him. In fact, as a Tory MP he should be blasting the Labour Government for allowing the situation. Sheesh!