What Are Your Photography Goals for 2009?

Photo Gallery – Marc Silber

I thinks setting goals with regards to your photography and then breaking those goals down into more manageable sub goals makes a tremendous amount of success.

My own long-term goal is to publish at least 1,000,000 photographs before I die.

Photographer Marc Silber has a post out where he asks people what their goals are for 2009. I elaborated on my more specific photographic goals for 2009 in the comments section of Marc’s post.

From Marc:

“Let me ask you, when was the last time you thought about your goals as a photographer? Lots of us keep going out and shooting the same pictures over and over—you know the ones I’m talking about. Nice shot the first few times you got it, but after a few hundred, even you’re tired of seeing it! How does that happen? You get good at a certain type of photography and keep on going out and finding that shot again.”

Update: Marc has a 2nd part update to his post on photography goals here.

1. Michael Warf says:

I’ve thought a bit about this myself. I had quarterly goals last year – but this year I’m going to quantify things not by the amount I shoot, but by the emotional reactions I get from my audience from the quality I shoot.

2. Plug1 says:

you read my mind as i have been thinking very heavily on this exact subject for the last 2-3 weeks.

my goals (photographically speaking) for 2009: to master my equipment, explore The City in greater detail and continue to study the photography of others. i hadn’t really taken this very seriously before — 2009 is when i begin to get very engaged.

3. Andy Beal says:

Now that I’ve owned my DSLR for a year, I really want to get beyond the typical pics I would take with a point and shoot.

Experimenting with depth of field more is one of my goals. Another is to build more relationships with other photographers. 🙂

4. Ivan Makarov says:

I decided to put a list of locations I’d like to shoot at in 2009. This last year I have not traveled as much as I wanted to with just photography in mind, so I left a list on my blog. That’ll keep me more organized and motivated.

5. Tom Quinn says:

After reading the F1.0 blog today, I think I might also adopt the “take fewer pictures, make more images” approach.

6. Brad says:

Going deeper when engaging people I meet and snap on SF streets.

7. Lou says:

hrm… i guess it would be to actually take some photos now and again. After borrowing a friends (older) dslr, my P&S; just isn't cutting it.

I should really use my film cameras more… but.. i don't. I just feel that I need a DSLR of some sort in order to capture any images that are worth anything. *shrugs*

Now I'm going to go hide in the center of my house to avoid the idiots firing a shit-ton of guns in my neighborhood.

8. esubijano says:

I need to be more aware of my surroundings. Try to ‘see’ more and not just look at people and things.

Oh yeah … get a DSLR (even though it’s not full-frame) finally and stop hoping that I’d be able to afford a full-frame DSLR anytime soon.

Maybe develop a static-pages website to host my photos to complement my present RIA website. Yup, it’s easier to apply Google Analytics on them static pages.

9. esubijano says:

10. Marc Silber says:

Hey Thomas, you got me looking at this further so I wrote a follow up post about getting those goals into action with strategic planning http://www.silberstudios.com/blog/?p=212

There’s another step too (tactical)maybe I’ll cover that too 😉

I want to acquire this lens in ’09: Canon | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM. At $1500+ this might be an 10’er.

12. Dean Blithe says:

My main goal is to be a better Photographer at the end of 2009 than I am now. To find a type of photography for example street/urban and specialize in that area. Also to improve my work flow.

13. Ann Tomas says:

I have always loved to take pictures but my love to to take pictures of landscapes. There is nothing better than the great outdoors. I love the county and all of its beauty.
    Is anyone looking for a new photographer to get started working with them? I am in Colorado Springs and am looking for anything to deal with cameras or taking pictures. I have posted my email for contact. I appreciate any help you can give me or if you no of anyone who can help me or give advice. Thank you for letting me put my inforamtion here on this site.

Ann T.