Karel Donk: “Canon 5D Mark II: Barely Worth It”

Karel Donk – Blog Archive — Canon EOS 5D Mark II: Barely worth it!:

“Canon has really lost it. It wasn’t so long that I wrote why they have lost it, and it seems that they continue to take hit after hit, not only from the competition, but from their own mistakes as well. It’s one thing to be given a hard time by the competition, but it’s completely different to be screwing up your own products. It appears that Canon simply do not learn from their mistakes.”

Karl Donk is not impressed with the new Canon 5D Mark II or with the direction that Canon is going. The Fake Chuck Westfall provides an officially unofficial update on some of the early problems with the new camera, adding that the 50D is f***ed.

Personally I don’t have much of an opinion on the new 5D Mark II camera other than I’m sort of pissed that when Canon said that this camera would ship at the end of November, here it is at Christmas and mine is still backordered when I preordered it in the first place.

Canon does at least in this regard seems to have screwed up from a business perspective. Manufacturing a hot new camera and then timing it to ship in November ahead of the Christmas Holiday seems smart. But then not having any of the cameras available for actual purchase by Christmas seems, well, sort of stupid.

7 comments on “Karel Donk: “Canon 5D Mark II: Barely Worth It”
  1. Andy says:

Canon, alike another favourite company of mine – Apple, really appear to have quality control issues.

Recently every single major camera release: the 1D mk3, the 1Ds mk3 the 5D mk2, have all had major problems. This, at a time Nikon really appears to be getting its act in order, and when Sony appear to be making huge strides.

Incidentally, I pre-ordered my 1Ds mk3 which was due for shipment in November ’07, it didn’t get to me until January ’08.

2. Brad says:

Well… All cameras have trades. You have to pick what’s most important to you…

Will be curious to see how T Hawk likes his; as my photography is done in similar circumstances.

3. Michael says:

Here’s the Canon EOS 5D audio sync issue or problem.

Last Wednesday I used my two 5D MkII’s in a 3 camera music video shoot. The third camera was a Sony PMW-EX1. Audio was recorded on two additional devices. One audio recording device was an Edirol R4 Pro. The other audio recording setup was a Tascam USB Interface to a MacBook Pro.

The Sony Camera, Edirol, and Tascam/MacBook Pro devices all synced sound perfectly over the full duration of the shoot (just over 20 minutes). To clarify – once the different sources are sync’d quickly and easily to the slate clap on the waveform at the beginning of the shoot they all stayed perfectly in sync for the rest of the video.

Both Canon cameras audio and video sync’d perfectly to each other but drifted significantly from the other 3 devices even over a 3 minute segment. The is a very serious problem for me and one that introduces significant post-production trouble and expense.

This issue was so unexpected (I haven’t run into this in years of working with a range of equipment) that I performed 3 subsequent tests to confirm that the 5D MkII’s run too fast. The results from the test show both of my 5D Mark II run about 14 frames too fast in 10 minutes. Audio that is 1 full frame out of sync is noticeable on sharp sounds causing an echo. Audio that is 2 or 3 frames out of sync causes echo on any sound and looks odd in terms of lip sync.

That the two Canon cameras audio sync’d OK to each other tells me that the cameras can be calibrated to a standard. Evidently they are just calibrated to an incorrect standard.

Anybody else experience this? Does anybody really know if this is likely a chip issue or a firmware issue? Does anyone know an easy reliable way to get the clips to conform to the standard without time-consuming constant tweaking?

I contacted Canon tech support and the girl there couldn’t care less. She said: There is no fix and that the 5d isn’t really a video camera so what did I expect? Nice!

4. shahrul esa says:

Not sure where you got your 5Dii, but I just walked into a store christas day and picked myself one. The problem is when you always go to the same photo shop that deals with alot of dslr users, their will more often than not be snapped up first.

As for the audio sync… didn’t notice on mine since i haven’t used it more than 2 minutes + the fact that my dual core laptop is not fast enough to even view the recording.

5. Larry says:

Hi,

I am looking for a Philips 7FF2FPAS digital photo frame but am currently struggling to find one anywhere, or to find anywhere that has a good review. Do you know anywhere you can point me to that will provide one of these please?

Many thanks

6. Mark says:

Michael, i think your issue is the frame rate maybe? What frame rate are filming with the other cameras, as the 5d mark 2 will only shoot 30fps so they will sync up together but if your frame rate is say 25fps for the ex-1 etc….then all the cameras are running at different speeds ands wont sync.

You probably know this and this probably isnt the issue but for me its the most obvious and cant think of any other reason.

All the best

Mark

7. adams says:

FOR SALE:Canon EOS 5D Mark II 21MP DSLR Camera

Canon EOS 5D Mark II has a stunning 21.1-megapixel full-frame CMOS sensor with DIGIC 4 Image Processor, a vast ISO Range of 100-6400, plus EOS technologies like Auto Lighting Optimizer and Peripheral Illumination Correction. It supports Live View shooting, Live View HD videos, and more.

PACKAGE CONTENT: