Another Example of How Hopelessly Disorganized AT&T Is
A few days ago my wife contacted AT&T; about combining our wireless billing on our iPhones with our UVerse home phone, internet, TV package. At the time she was told that AT&T; would have to get back to her to do that.
So today I got a text message from AT&T; regarding my “service request.” The text message instructed me to call a number regarding this request.
So I called this number only to be told that in order to combine my billing that I’d need to call another number 1-800-288-2020.
So I called 1-800-228-2020 and got an automated voice response sort of thing about my account that verified my mobile number. I then told the automated voice response unit that I wanted to combine billing and was transferred me to a representative. The representative said that she could help me and had me tell her my mobile number (even though I’d already verified it with the automated response unit). She also had me verify the last four digits of my social security number. Then she asked me for my UVerse account number. I didn’t know this but she said she could look it up with my home phone number.
Then that call was disconnected.
So I called the 1-800-228-2020 number back and once again told the automated response unit that I wanted to combine accounts. It asked me again if the number I was calling from was my number and I said yes. At this point the automated response unit told me that I would need to call AT&T; Wireless for any requests on this account. It then told me goodbye and disconnected me.
So I called the 1-800-228-2020 number back and told the automated response unit again that I wanted to combine my accounts. It could not recognize what I was trying to say and after about 5 attempts it asked me to press a number in from one to 5 for different problems. Since combining accounts wasn’t mentioned I selected option number 5, other problem.
At this point I sat on hold for 25 minutes waiting for a representative.
After 25 minutes a representative came on the line and told me that in order to combine my billing accounts she would need to get me to another department. She promised to stay on the line during the transfer to make sure I got a live person given my 25 minute wait.
At this point I got a live person. A reasonably helpful guy who verified my mobile number and the last four digits of my social security number again. This representative asked me for my UVerse account number which I told him I did not have.
At this point the representative told me that he would need to call another person to look up my Uverse account number based on my home telephone number. I was put on hold for about 10 minutes again.
After this rep came back he told me that they were having difficulty matching my UVerse account with my home phone number. He asked me if the service might be in someone else’s name. I said it could be in my wife’s name but that my home telephone number was definitely correct.
I was put on hold again for 5 minutes or so after which time this representative came back on the phone and told me that they finally found it. He said he had no idea why it wasn’t coming up before and said that they kept entering in the same phone number over and over and over again than they decided to try one last time and my Uverse account number came up.
Once this representative had my UVerse account number though he told me that he was going to need to transfer me to another person.
So then I got another person who told me that she would help me combine my billing. She put me on hold and then came back to me about 5 minutes later and asked me if I’d already been talking to someone about this earlier today. I said yes that I had but that the call had been disconnected.
She told me that she noted on this call that it had been disconnected but said that they had two service requests to do this on my account anyways and that she couldn’t proceed until she had canceled these previous two service requests and she told me that she’d need to get a supervisor involved to cancel these requests.
So after getting a supervisor to cancel the previous two requests this individual came back online and told me that she was still having a problem combining my accounts.
At this point the representative put me on hold again to talk to her supervisor and then came back to me and asked me if my wireless account was set up on autopay. I told her that it was and it was at this point that she told me that AT&T; is unable to combine UVerse and wireless accounts when a wireless account is set up on autopay.
She told me that I’d need to call a completely different number and cancel my autopay before she would be able to combine my billing. She told me that she’d do me a favor and personally work on the issue tomorrow if I could call this other number and cancel my autopay.
It was at this point that I told her just to forget it altogether. I’d already wasted 2 hours of my time and taken valuable time away from my family and other more important things I needed to do.