New Canon 5D Mark II, $2,700, 21.1 Megapixels, Full Frame Sensor, Anti Dust Technology, Shoots HD Video

Well what a pleasant surprise this morning. Pre-photokina Canon has released the details on the much anticipated update to it’s popular 5D camera (yes, the very same 5D that I love and shoot with every single day).

The new camera will sell for an estimated price of $2,700. It will have a full frame 21.1-megapixel sensor, DIGIC 4 imaging processor and an expanded ISO sensitivity range from ISO 50 to ISO 25,600. It will shoot at 3.9 frames per second (a disappointment to some who were hoping for a faster camera). Canon says that the new camera will be available at the end of November (just in time for Christmas grandma!).

It will also shoot 16:9 full 1080 HD video. The maximum length for videos on the new camera will be 4 GB per clip or 30 minutes, whichever comes first. The new camera will also have an input terminal for external microphones in addition to it’s built in sound.

Other features of the new camera include live view shooting and the ability to keep the shutter open in live view mode for quieter shooting (which Canon oddly says will be helpful to “law enforcement” in it’s press release). I can’t wait to see the follow up advertising campaign on this one, “Real cops shoot with Canon!”

It also includes a much needed dust cleaning system — dust on the full frame sensor was the biggest problem with the original 5D in my opinion.

Like it’s predecessor 5D model the new 5D will not have built in flash.

Apparently there is also a new grip (which looks massive) that will be available as an add on accessory for the 5D which will allow you to transmit images wirelessly to your computer or an FTP server. It’s said to include GPS which I would assume would mean that with this accessory you will likely be able to auto geotag your photos.

So will Thomas Hawk be buying one of these bad boys as soon as he can possibly get his hands on one in November? Hell yes! No doubt.

Even if you can’t or don’t want to spend $2,700 on a camera body though this is great news because the original 5D is sure to drop in price substantially and that is still one of the finest digital SLRs out to shoot with. If you want to pick up an old 5D cheap I’d be scouring eBay for a used one come November.

Along with the 5D Canon also announced an updated version of their popular 24mm f/1.4 lens. The new EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM lens. I have the current 24mm L lens and love it. I’d imagine the new one will be even better.

You can read the entire Canon press release on the new 5D here.

Additional coverage:

Techmeme
Engadget
Wired
I4U News
electronista
Gizmodo
1001 Noisy Cameras
Fred Miranda
Photo.net
Crave
Canon DSLR User Group on Flickr

Unfortunately no coverage on the new camera yet from the “We Say No to Video” Group on Flickr 😉

I’m excited for this release, can’t wait to get my hands on one! However, 21 MP is quite high for my needs, but apart from that I think this will be a fine upgrade from my 30D.

~Ryan

2. torh says:

This is really exciting news. Is it weather/water sealed?

3. Kayakman says:

I am ready to trade in my 10D.

4. Mike says:

Looks promising, especially for low light shooting. If you go to the Japanese Canon site for the 5D MkII, you can see some sample shots (select "Photos & Movies" at the bottom of the screen). Photo #2 is a 6400 ISO shot that may well be straight from the camera with minimal processing. I don't know this, but it doesn't look too doctored. Assuming that’s the case, it looks pretty awesome. If you enlarge to full-screen and zoom in (scroll-button + cntrl on the Mighty Mouse), the noise is really rather minimal!

5. Jody says:

Yes, but will it retain time/date when battery is changed? 🙂

As for weather sealing:

Water resistance: 10 mm rain in 3 minutes

6. From a 5D user, I have quite a bit of trouble shooting in Low Light with my current camera, I think with the way that the new 5D looks, it will be an absolute upgrade. The pictures from the above link look amazing. One of the photos what shot with iso at 6400 and it looks like it was shot at 800. It’s unbelievable. I’m extremely excited for this.

I’m jonesing over the 1080 HD video capabilities with external mic plug. that’s hot! and that full frame sensor @ 22 megapixel makes me want to eat 22 softserve ice cream cones! (to cool off of course)

8. Brad says:

Eh….

Nice cam, features, and price.

But, for my street photography, I “downgraded” from a full size cam to a smaller consumerish XSi/450D.

Much more ergonomic; especially since I shoot one-handed with the strap wrapped around my wrist.

Great photos are not driven by feature-laden cams. Usually…

9. Parkylondon says:

Looks like Canon isn’t past a little price gouging though. Here in the UK, Calumet are offering it for pre order at GBP2299 for the body and GBP3049 with a lens.

http://tinyurl.com/4827sx take you to the Calumet website.

Come on Canon. This isn’t FAIR!

Can we preorder it on eBay?

11. great post thomas. Here are my thoughts on the camera and some of the video…

12. […] Thomas Hawk wrote up his impressions. He’s excited and plans to get one as soon as they’re available. […]

13. Quintin Taul says:

I was going to leave a thoughts on your blog, then changed my mind. Don’t you mind everyone wanting to know what topic theme it is? Will it be easy to customize? I Appreciate It in advance, Felix. I adore the style of your theme. You mind sharing the specific themeyou are using? Thanks tons, Joanne.

14. christian louboutin spiked heels