Best Wishes to Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Best Wishes to Bill Gates, who retires from Microsoft today. As the wealthiest man in the world Gates serves as a strong example for what the rich ought to do with their wealth. The $37.5 billion that currently sits in the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to be used for philanthropic efforts is admirable and commendable. Gates serves as a strong example of what other of the wealthy might and could do to make the world a better place.

7 comments on “Best Wishes to Bill Gates
  1. Mattpenning says:

The awesome part of this is that I could be like Bill, one dollar or so at a time. They all add up when joined with others.

Reading all the different kudos and portraits of Bill G. of late and esp. today, I’m admiring him more.

I believe that I’ll be able to see much more in the way of good done through the actions and power of one, as Bill crafts his legacy.

Personal highlight: Bill read one of my submitted questions in the 80’s at a conference of geeks.

2. Ryan says:

Hi Thomas. I like your blog a lot, but your choice of words in this post has rubbed me the wrong way, so I’m sharing a comment.

Suggesting what the “rich” ought to do with their money is a bit presumptuous. I hope Bill Gates is doing what he wants with his fortune. Whether that is donate it to charity, or buy jets, boats, and houses. Neither choice is more virtuous than the other. Its his money, he’s earned it. The right thing for him to do is exactly what he sees fit.

He doesn’t have any obligation to make the world a better place. Yet he made it a much better place by creating a vastly successful company, hiring 1000s of employees, and creating gigantic markets. He’s done all that without being forced to or “oughting to”, and its beneficial effects on others are immeasurable. We should be thanking him, and others like him, for doing this. Its offensive to suggest that they ought to do more.

3. Paulo Jordao says:

Great post… So, is he going to do something else? Or just Retire?

4. Wizum says:

I Kind of agree with what Ryan is saying here… But I think maybe though that you are parsing Thomas’s words a little. Maybe Thomas is just praising Mr. Gates on his foundation and his philanthropy efforts? why just assume that Thomas is saying what you are suggesting? I didn’t really take what was said as that, and though I understand your point, and agree with much of what you are saying, I think you are being a little silly… but maybe its just the long weekend and I’m tired :)

Actually, Bill is now only the third richest man in the world. The slump in Microsoft’s share price has seen him fall behind Warren Buffett and mexican telecoms billionaire Carlos Slim Helú.

6. Bob says:

Gates sure has turned his reputation around. There was a time when his taken to task for not giving away his money.

7. CATALINA ORTIZ says:

I REALLY ADMIRED BILL GATES. I AM AN UNDERGRADUATE TEACHER…I NEVER COULD FINISH MY STUDIES THAT I STARTED WHEN I WAS 34 AND HAVE 3 CHILDREN TO RAISE. NOW I AM 48 AND I WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE MY STUDIES TO BE A TEACHER (BETTER LATE THAN NEVER)BUT IT IS VERY HARD BECAUSE I COULDNT GET A JOB …NOT YET …BUT I WILL GET IT SOON…I NEED A CAR DESPERATELY TO STUDY AND WORK ..I AM FROM PERU IN SOUTH AMERICA…TRYING TO MAKE A BETTER LIFE IN USA…I CONFESS IT WAS AND IT IS HARD BUT WHAT IS EASY IN THIS LIFE?…BE PERSISTENT..PERSISTENT IS THE KEY….I SAW AN INTERVIEW MADE BY MR OPPENHEIMER TO MR GATES..WAS REALLY A GREAT ONE I AGREED WITH HIM IF WE DO NOT DO SOMETHING TO IMPROVE THE MOTIVATION TO STUDY SCIENCE AMONG OUR STUDENTS THERE WILL NEVER BE A BILL GATES AGAIN IN THIS COUNTRY…
    IF SOMEBODY COULD SEND THIS MESSAGE TO BILL GATES PLEASE DO IT!!!!!