Two Oakland Men Arrested With Loaded Assault Riffles
Last week I blogged about an unfortunate incident where the Oakland police shot and killed a 15 year old boy when the boy allegedly pointed a sawed off rifle at them while on patrol in East Oakland. The boys name was Jose Luis Buenrostro.
And now there is more news out that at the street memorial where the 15 year old was slain police have arrested two men for possession of loaded assault rifles.
“Marco Mendez, 32, was arrested about 3:10 a.m. Sunday while standing on the 7800 block of Rudsdale Street in East Oakland holding a loaded AR-15 assault rifle, said Officer Roland Holmgren, a police spokesman. Mendez tried to flee but officers chased him down, Holmgren said.
At the same time, Holmgren said, police arrested Andre Piazza of Oakland after officers found a loaded AK-47 assault rifle with a high-capacity magazine on the front passenger seat of a Nissan Maxima he was driving. Piazza, 26, had asked officers to move their patrol cars so he could move the Nissan, Holmgren said.”
One of the men arrested was on probation with ties to a local street gang and the other was on parole.
The question now is what will happen to these two criminals? Will they spend more than 6 months in jail? Ought gangsters be allowed to walk around with loaded AK-47s on the streets of Oakland and then get a mere slap on the wrist? Personally I hope that they throw the book at these two.
Police spokesman Holmgren is quoted as saying that these two will “probably face federal gun charges.” I hope that this is true and I hope that the charges carry with them very long sentences.
Only when the message is sent that illegal guns won’t be tolerated in Oakland will we begin to see a reduction in the murders that these illegal guns are causing.
Thanks to the Oakland Police Department for arresting these two and getting them and their guns off the street.