Photowalking The USS Hornet

Set You Free

To see my set of images of yesterday’s photowalk click through here (only 10 up now but I’ll have 80 more up later tonight). To more great shots from yesterday’s shoot on Zooomr check out the USS Hornet tag here.

Well I had a great time yesterday hanging out with about 30 other people shooting the USS Hornet, a decommissioned World War II aircraft carrier in Alameda California. Scoble and Photowalking producer Rocky Barbanica got the whole thing on video and should have the next edition of Photowalking out soon. In edition to editing, Rocky’s now producing the photowalking series for Podtech as well so look for the episode to be out shortly.

If you took photos at yesterday’s walk and want to let Rocky include some of them in the video, please be sure to get him a CD of the images and he’s got a release that he will need you to sign as well.

One of the things that I really like about the photowalking stuff is that I’m beginning to see a lot of the same people coming back for more and more shooting. It’s great seeing old friends, hanging out, while shooting some fanhttp://www.blogger.com/img/gl.link.giftastic shots.

It was good seeing Randyman who brought his family up from SoCal to shoot the Hornet. His photos aren’t online yet but he always gets some great shots. Matt Roe was there as well with his Olympus and tripod. Matt always gets some great shots and I love watching him shoot. Matt’s 16 and it’s great to see someone that young with such a heart and a passion for photography.

It was also great catching up with Patrick. He posts as gooshum on Zooomr and is one of my favorite local photographers. He does so much great night stuff and lives right there on the Alameda naval base. We might try to get together this next weekend and do some night shooting. I’ve never shot the base at night but it’s an amazing set for one of my favorite types of photography.

Hasan Diwan’s
got the first shots up on Zooomr so far. By the way, if you post shots we are using the tag “Photowalking Hornet.” You can also tag the photos anything else you want too, but make sure to include that one in there if you can.

I think my favorite shot to take on the shoot was this shot inside of a jet exhaust tube (or at least I think that’s what it is). I had to really crawl up inside there to shoot it with my 14mm. Andy Frazier got a funny shot of my legs hanging out.

I really liked playing with the 14mm f/2.8 lens on this shoot. That lens is growing on me more and more and quickly becoming a favorite. I thought it worked really well in some of the great spaces on the Hornet.

I’ve just got 10 of my shots up online so far, but I’ll get the rest of them up later tonight. I got 90 shots in all I think that are worth keeping. In total I fired 668 shots. Which is less than it felt like I actually shot.

I will definitely be going back to Hornet though and highly recommend it to anyone looking for an interesting location to shoot. They have an open photography policy which is awesome and a never ending maze of places to get lost in and shoot.

After we did the photowalk, 22 or so of us headed over to Panda Restaurant on Park Street in Alameda and had some Chinese food. The food was pretty good and plentiful for sure. Shanon Clark did a great job orchestrating the dinner and putting together a fixed menu at a reasonable price.

No Comments

1. Whats up with this fake black halo on your pics these days? I say, less photoshop is best.

2. Andy Frazer says:

Thomas,

Thanks for putting together (or showing up at… whatever your contribution was) this photowalk. It’s great that the Hornet people have such an open photography policy. They should be commended for that.

Also, did you notice how clean the whole ship was? I was laying flat on the ground for many of my shots, and it was cleaner than most sidewalks. That volunteer team on the Hornet are really a dedicated bunch of people.

Andy Frazer

3. JeffH says:

Andrew, The ‘fake black halo’ you are referring to is called vignetting and is a byproduct of certain wide angle lenses used with the Canon 5D’s full framed sensor. The Canon EF35 f1.4L USM tends to produce vignetting on a full frame sensor at wide apertures. Thomas uses this lens quite frequently.

4. Matt Roe says:

Yesterday was a ton of fun. I really enjoyed it. This isn’t much of an issue, but my name on your blog is blank. Just a minor typo. Keep the photowalks coming. Rocky did a great job with this one.

5. @JeffH –

Thanks for the info. I didn’t suspect it was equipment related because the gradient was so even on all corners.

I would love to hear, though, just how much of Thomas’s and others pictures are worked up post the event. Coming from the film side, its common to spend hours in the dark room and then again in post production (painting in spots, bleaching, etc). Even Ansel Adams made tons of “edits”.

So I guess the question is – how many of us live in Photoshop post shooting?

thanks.

6. damon says:

To Thomas and others:
    Thomas, you write that you have 90 keepers out of 660-odd photos. What do you (and everyone else who might be reading) do with the photos from a big shoot like this that aren’t “keepers”? Do you literally not keep them, delete and forget? Or do you archive away in case you have a change of heart?

I ask out of curiosity, because I tend to keep a copy of every photo I take just because I can.

I save them. In a folder by the date taken. I go back through my archives all the time and find photos that I somehow missed the first time around.

Some vignetting (dark corners on the edges) does take place naturally. Especially with the large sensor on the 5D. But I typically vignette to my taste as I have pretty tight control over both removing and adding vignette with RAW. Lately I’ve been in kind of a vignete sort of mood.

8. Tom Newman says:

Thomas, It was another great Photowalking event and thanks to you, Scoble, Rocky, and the others who attended. My photos (as well as others) are up on Zooomr under the tag: photowalking12 and photowalking081907. I will add the “Photowalking Hornet” when I have time.

Thanks again.
    Tom

9. Amazing photos and an amazing day. I’m so honored I get to hang around while you create these. I sort of recognize them, but damn, I didn’t “see” most of them. You have an amazing skill. Can’t wait for the next one!htt