iTunes Store To Stop Selling NBC Television Shows, Who the Hell Cares

Bull Shit

iTunes Store To Stop Selling NBC Television Shows

So the whole blogosphere’s a buzz today with the announcement that iTunes isn’t going to carry NBC shows anymore.

I say, who the hell cares. I don’t think I’ve watched anything from NBC in over a year. I used to watch Law & Order, but it just can’t compete with the internet in my opinion. I think I’ve got a bunch of Law and Order loaded up on my TiVo, but I haven’t really reviewed what I’ve got on my TiVo for the past couple of months.

Laughably, NBC apparently wanted to try and sell their shows for $4.99 each on iTunes.

$4.99 for that crap? You’ve got to be kidding me. Who in the hell would pay five bucks for a TV show? Especially when all you have to do is hop on over to that old bittorrent thingy and just borrow a copy for free.

Live from New York, it’s the suckers who pay $5 for a TV show and are too dumb to figure out the bittorrents!

Nice move NBC. Way to go from being mostly irrelevant to entirely irrelevant.

No Comments

1. Andy Roth says:

Thomas, do you think you’re being a bit extreme?

Though I agree that *for me* $5 or even what they are currently charging for a TV show is too high. That doesn’t mean their shows are all “crap”. If you’ve not watched anything from NBC in over a year, how can you even say how good or bad their shows are?

And bittorrent? Is that exactly legal?

2. JoelRojo says:

I agree on it being a really stupid move, which will end up moving people away from their shows, their network and taking away their relevance and the “virality” inherent on the medium.

But, they do have some great shows on Heroes, Scrubs, 30 Rock, The Office, Friday Night Lights and stuff I don’t like but still sells, like My Name is Earl and ER. Also, they do have NFL football.

I must sound like I’m an NBC employee, so I’ll just drop names of good shows on other networks: Boston Legal, Nip/Tuck, House, Psych, Desp. Housewives, Family Guy, MythBusters, Rescue Me, etc.

3. Mark says:

Funny how you’re crying murder in one case of copyright infringement and then advocate illegal copying here. Can you explain? Is it ok to “steal” (of course illegal copying is not stealing but that’s not my terminology) from a big corporation?

4. Aaron says:

…”and then advocate illegal copying here.”

I don’t know. I’m sure someone will explain to me why it’s technically illegal. But I have issues with the whole concept.

Is it illegal for me to record the show on a DVR to watch later?

Is it then illegal for me to take my recording and remove the commercials before I watch it?

If those aren’t illegal then I guess I’m having trouble understanding why it should be illegal for me to bittorent a show that I forgot to record on a station that I get as part of my cable subscription.

5. maybe you think that NBC’s shows are under creative commons and free for the taking?

good thing these shows are all written, acted, and made made by unpaid volunteers!

Mark, I did not advocate folks flitting around on the old bittorrents. I’m just pointing out the obvious.

Andy, fair point. I’ve actually heard that that show the Office is pretty good on that bittorrents channel out there.

And bittorrent? Is that exactly legal?

You know what else isn’t legal? Jaywalking. I do it all the time.

fly on the wall, this boneheaded move on NBCs part will hurt those writers, actors and other volunteers more than help them. NBC is pushing people into the arms of their bittorrent saviors when they do really stupid things like try to charge $5 for an episode of a TV show.

7. Tironius says:

Way to rail against the horrible idea people blogging about Apple and NBC

BY BLOGGING ABOUT APPLE AND NBC.

8. simonking says:

I thought i heard somewhere that NBC’s rating were the lowest they’ve been in years. Compared to the other major T.V. players like abc and cbs they are ranked last. This explains why they aired that show ‘the black donnolies’ like 3 episodes then dropped it. Ironically, i remember a Leno skit that showed like 50% of the new productions and how they are all failing miserably now, it just seems too hard to compete with shows like idol and lost.

9. simonking says:

They need to start a show with trump selling stakes. lol I can’t believe how much PR he’s raised with his new line of food products.

10. TranceMist says:

Hey, I am advocating bittorents. Because it’s the only way the only real way to change or break the old power structures.

DRM must go away.

At least the music industry is beginning to get that, with so many recent announcements of DRM-free (MP3) music stores (even Wal-Mart).

As for TV. The quality has been constant since the beginning, but you divide by the number of channels.

I’m tired of all these old and outdated companies whining all the time about the internet. Get over it, YOU ARE OBSOLETE.

12. Mike D says:

You really should check out Heroes. One of the best shows on right now in my opinion. I’m also a big fan of The Office.

13. Shawn Oster says:

While you personally may not enjoy NBC’s shows obviously some people are as this is not the move of a desperate network. NBC is obviously in a very strong position if they feel they can detattach from the iTunes teat. With shows like The Office and Heroes they are riding pretty strong and seem fairly confident that people will actually pay their crazy prices. Either that or they want to purposely scare people away so instead people buy the season wrap-up DVDs.

Personally I’ve always found buying shows via iTunes silly, it’s fairly easy just to set MCE to record shows vs. having to download them via BitTorrent.