On Putting Our Money Where Our Mouth is and Why Zooomr Feels Censorship is Wrong

[I’m CEO of Zooomr]

I just posted a blog post over on the Zooomr blog formally adopting an anti-censorship policy that Yahoo rejected. Kristopher and I talked at length about where Zooomr ought to stand with regards to censorship in light of the recent attention that the subject has been getting in the press and with regards to photo sharing sites in general.

Both Kristopher and I are pretty opposed to censorship. We believe that less censorship in photo sharing and the world is better than more censorship, and so we felt it was keeping with our beliefs to adopt the policy that Yahoo rejected.

The policy that Yahoo rejected was a good one. While I can understand why a company might not want to put something into writing that holds their feet to the fire, sometimes it’s important that a company do the right thing. So we’re putting our money where our mouth is and telling you that at Zooomr we feel that we can operate under the provisions of Yahoo’s rejected plan.

This may mean that Zooomr faces some hurdles as we continue to grow. Our largest geographical traffic comes from Asia. But it’s the right thing to do. And sometimes what ought to be done shouldn’t be what is expedient to business, but what is the morally right thing to do.

We hope you will share our support and adoption of this anti censorship policy and that you will support the fact that we are willing to take a stand on this important issue at Zooomr.

Power to the people. The best photographs in the world have yet to be taken.

So Jill Greenberg would be welcomed with open arms?

Good for you.

2. Nate Green says:

I think you mean “our money” not “are money”…

3. Dave Zatz says:

I also put my money where my mouth is and cancelled my Pro Flickr account:

I’ve been a big Yahoo supporter for years, but I just don’t feel comfortable hosting my photos there any longer and I don’t support some of the recent actions that have been taken.http://w

The second you get threatened with a lawsuit or threatened to have the Zooomr business taken down, you’ll do censorship too. It’s just a matter of time. Zooomr is not any different and certainly not all high and mighty that they can operate outside of the laws, whether they be in Germany, China or wherever.

5. Vinny says:

Why are the comments that come from anonymous cowards such shit? Jesus Christ people, if you don’t have the balls to say something keep your cakehole shut.

6. Rich says:

I will say the same thing. Best of luck when you are facing lawsuits in the future. I hope then you are able to live up to your current standards if you face your business going under because of the actions of your users.