Mike Gravel for President of the United States?

I generally avoid talking about politics on my blog, but over the course of the past few days I’ve been reading a lot of things about a maverick Democratic presidential contender, 77 year old former Alaskan Senator, Mike Gravel.

And what I’ve seen written about Gravel, following his participation in last weeks Presidential Debate, feels very refreshing indeed. Gravel seems to talk with a degree of candor that I’ve not seen from a politician in a long time. And there are a few of his positions that resonate very strongly with me.

First off, Mike Gravel apparently is for abolishing the income tax system and replacing it with a National sales tax system. I like this idea a lot. The U.S. income tax is beyond problematic. People cheat on their taxes, find loopholes, etc. Some people pay too much, others not enough. It’s a backwards system that needs to go. Mike Gravel wants to replace our current system with a national sales tax system. This makes tons of sense to me. If you want to buy (and can afford) a $3,000 suit, great, go ahead and buy it and pay the tax. If you want to wear (or can only afford) a $10 t-shirt on the other hand, then you’ll pay a lot less.

A national sales tax system would reward savers and penalize excessive consumption. There is so much waste in the USA. So much crap that gets bought that doesn’t need to be bought. This would be a refreshing and welcome change.

More significantly for me though, Mike Galvin has come out saying that he is for the decriminalization of marijuana. In fact, he thinks it ought to be able to be bought at the local liquor store.

The fact that alcohol is legal in the U.S. while marijuana is not is hypocritical. Marijuana distribution is left to the criminal elements in our society. No taxes are paid on its consumption and the money generated from the pot industry generally filters through a crime syndicate that hurts us.

I don’t know enough about Gravel yet to say he gets my vote, but what I’ve been reading about him and his candor with which he shares his positions is refreshing.

1. Carl says:

There’s a lot of argument about this, but one school of thought is that a national sales tax is regressive because the poor by necessity spend more of their income on consumable goods. The national sales tax sounds like a nice simple solution, but I don’t think it is.

2. Eddie says:

Besides which — a nation wearing nothing but t-shirts?? Oh, the fashion crisis that would arise! 🙂

3. Josh says:

Re: carl

All the proposals for a national sales tax that I’ve seen include a ‘prebate’ that gives some money back to people maintaining the progressive nature of the tax. I’ve also seen some versions that exclude things like food from the tax.

From what I understand Gravel supports some type of a prebate to subsidize the very poor. I’d be fine with food in fact being exempted from all National taxation.

5. eas says:

Exempt food from the national sales tax, and it won’t be long before someone tries selling a head of lettuce packaged in a $3,000 suit for $3,001.49.

6. Wakid says:

tuxedo packaging 🙂 yeah. I can’t wait to see some of those loopholes.

7. The “national sales tax” with a prebate, which would completely un-tax the lowest income earners is called the Fair Tax, and it is amazing. More detail can be found at http://www.fairtax.org.

This guy sounds a lot like a Libertarian to me!

8. Levois says:

Is Gravel sure he’s even in the right party?

9. Alan says:

You might be interested in looking into Ron Paul too. He is a libertarian disguised as a republican and has been gaining a lot of support lately.

There’s a lot more to Mike Gravel. He’s very open and very liberal. He’s the most serious, sincere, humorous, and up-front truth-seeker that you could ever wish to support. His campaign is picking up major momentum. I hope everyone takes a bit of time to get the bigger picture on Gravel. He’s ready to become the greatest president of our generation. Spread the word, donate, and give Gravel a chance to be heard.

Gravel 2008!