One More Reason Why I Love Creative Commons

Going Down Droste, originally uploaded by Pisco Bandito.

Wow! Got a note today from Pisco Bandito sharing with me this mash up that he did with one of my more popular Flickr photos.

I think his version is a lot better than mine and adds to my original in new and creative ways that I never envisioned.

Creative Commons makes this kind of sharing and derivation possible and it’s one of the things that I appreciate most about the license. I believe that so much creativity in the world is built on past creativity and this is a perfect example.

1. Jeff O'Hara says:

And now his creativity is going to fuel you to be more creative 🙂

-Jeff O’Hara

2. Jeff O'Hara says:

And now his creativity is going to fuel you to be more creative 🙂

-Jeff O’Hara

3. Michele says:

Thomas, since Creative Commons is really great, could I suggest you to introduce some “We Love CC” in Zooomr?

Michele, great idea. When we roll out our bulk licensing tool we will do a post on this.

You can license your shots creative commons on Zooomr right now, but the bulk licensing tool will make it even easier and a good time to highlight a post like this for Zooomr.

Thanks.

5. Kevin says:

About 2 decades ago I took a similar shot to this one (minus the post editing) and was quite proud of it. Imagine my surprise when a couple years later I stumble upon my photo (actually theirs predated mine) in a Nikon brochure at a photo store Finland.

Oh, and yes, CreativeCommons, regardless of the discussion of whether this will all slope down to GPL, has done a great job of making “All Rights Reserved” so arcane. DRM by any other name is just Content Restriction And Prevention.

6. Jeremiah says:

Not to be pedantic, but Creative Commons did not make this mashup possible – it made it legal…and that’s not a small distinction.

That said, this is an awesome piece.

Viva la CC!