Flickr “Old Skool” Accounts are Dead, Welcome to Yahoo thomashawk94111

Old Skool Flickr is Dead

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. Yahoo extended their “Old Skool” log ons an extra 5 days from March 15, 2007 to March 20, 2007 and a few minutes ago when I went to check my Flickr Recent Activity I was officially locked out.

No problem of course, just had to register with Yahoo. We started with trying thomashawk (yeah I know, fat chance).

Ok then, how about _thomashawk? Nope.

Ok then, how about thomashawk_? Nope.

yahoosucks? Heh, I didn’t think so.

Ok, thomashawk94111 it is then!

I feel like my life his inexplicably been changed for the worse. I can barely breath, what’s happening to me? I’m, I’m, I’m, ummm… nevermind.

Update: Scratch the above bitching. Some nice person who would like to remain anonymous noticed that thomas.hawk was not taken as a Yahoo ID and I just secured it and moved my thomashawk94111 account over to it. Whew! Dodged a bullet on that one. Now I’ll sleep like a baby tonight.

Thanks to my anonymous guardian angel!

You probably could’ve got thomashawkatflickr or something along those lines

you already had a yahoo name for IM though.

3. I guess I don’t understand the big deal. I mean, it’s inevitable, and some people have always had yahoo logins and not cared one way or another. I know people hate yahoo, but if you truly hate it, just because you have an “old skool” login doesn’t make it NOT yahoo. The only way to address that is to not use flickr.

you already had a yahoo name for IM though.

Yes, the lovely thomashawk22 (another numerical winner). But I want to keep my Flickr stuff and my other Yahoo stuff separate. Plus I don’t want everyone at Yahoo knowing what I chat about.

I’m just not sure life’s worth living with my identity permanently scarred. I’m just not sure how I’ll be able to go on being thomashawk94111. I feel so alien, robotic, my creativity drained, I may as well just curl up under a rock somewhere..

close my eyes…

… and die.

Seriously!

for real.

I really don’t think I can go on.

5. haha,

I can hardly wait till you and Kris sell Zooomr off to the highest bidder. 😉

From now on, I’m going to address you by your new yahoo identity.

Assimilate, sucka.

6. publicenergy says:

Well, I really don’t care how I log in – Flickr is still Flickr really. There are far worse things that could have happened compared to changing the log in method.

As far as not being able to get a good Yahoo name goes though, perhaps if people snagged one when the Yahoo login option appeared on Flickr a year ago, there would have been a bit of a wider choice – you could have been thomashawk94110 instead! 😉

7. One major irritant with the Yahoo takeover is that you have to log into your Yahoo mail account every so often. Let it lapse and they’ll delete it. If it’s gone, how are you going to authenticate with Flickr?

I may despise OpenID with the fury of a thousand suns, but I’ll take that any day of the week over Yahoo’s nonsense.

And I was thinking of going “pro” on Flickr, too. Lucky me, I’ve got a free Pro account on Zooomr so I’ll be moving everything over there.

Dear Tom:

I just sent you an email regarding your “dissatisfaction”!

Please check!

-Anonymous

9. Shawn Oster says:

I suppose I was lucky in that I don’t have a super common name and that the day I read that Yahoo was allowing dots in their e-mail addresses I registered mine, shawn.oster.

I actually prefer the dots these days, much easier to work with and I thank gmail for making them so popular.

My flickr login used to be “shawn.oster@gmail.com” and when they switched to yahoo it just became “shawn.oster” so for me it made life about 11 keystrokes easier.

Hmm, don’t know what your old flickr login was but seems even something like ‘thomashawk.public’ or ‘thomashawk.professional’ would be less keystrokes than whatever it used to be. Ah well, different strokes for different folks as they say, sucks you couldn’t find something you liked.

10. Shawn Oster says:

@Bruce Anderson

Really? I haven’t logged into my yahoo e-mail account for about a year and a half and it’s still there. I’m pretty sure logging into flickr with your yahoo login actually pings your account so it’ll never go stale. I could be wrong but I do know I never use or log into Yahoo mail or any of the other Yahoo services besides flickr.

11. Shawn, maybe I’ve just had bad luck. I bet you’re right, but I’m still switching everything over to Zooomr.

12. sirshannon says:

You could always do what I have had to do since the very first day of kindergarten: use your full name. I went to school with 2(!) people my age who have my same first and last name, I have never been able to sign only my first or only my first and last names.

Or, you could do what I did later and assume a silly nom-de-web…

13. engtech says:

one of your readers was also so kind as to help me when I complained about my yahooID already being in use on a non-primary flickr account in a previous post.

Yay internet.