The “Other Side” of the Carlos Miller Arrest Story

Miami Dade PoliceMiami Dade Police Hosted on Zooomr

So I promised you all the “other side” of the story I’ve been reporting on regarding the recent arrest of Carlos Miller. Carlos Miller is a Miami based journalist who was recently arrested after, according to Miller, he was told not to photograph the police who were investigating a “private matter” and asked to move along.

Rather than comply with the police, Miller instead continued taking photographs of them, a crime for which he asserts he was arrested. In the end Miller spent 16 hours in a Miami Dade jail and now faces nine counts over the incident. You can read Miller’s take of what happened at this story here. The Miami Herald is also reporting on it here.

So the “other side” of the story? Well here from the police report:

“While Officer Read was conducting an investigation of an accident, defendant approached the scene with a camera without identifying himself. Because the accident was at a busy avenue (Biscayne) and was heavy traffic, Officer Read told to the defendent to go to the other side of the street (safety issue) and do not stand in the middle of the street obstructing the traffic at which time defendant refused to obey Officer Read’s commands and stated, “this is a public road and I can do what the hell I want.” And continued refusing to obey after being told to do so. Defendant (made?) myself [and other officers] escorted the defendant to the other side of the street (safe location) by the sidewalk at which time the defendant got violent by refusing to walk freely, tensing himself and taking pictures with his camera.

Then defendant was told to place his hands behind his back, but instead he started putting resistance by pulling his arms away, and non complaint to our verbal commands. Defendants actions caused motorists to stop their vehicles concerning about the comotions. Also defendants actions caused a delay with the accident investigation that Officer Read was conducting. Defendant was arrested without further incident.”

You can read the entire police report (with Carlos’ personal information redacted) at the links below.

Carlos Miller Arrest report page one.pdf

Carlos Miller Arrest report page two.pdf

Ok, a couple of things. First off, the photos that I saw that were taken by Carlos were not photos from the middle of the street. They were photos taken with the police between him and the street. Second. I just find it super hard to believe that even if someone is blocking traffic that they deserve to be arrested over this. People jaywalk all the time. Maybe give him a ticket or something. But to arrest the guy? And I like how the police throw in there that he “got violent” by refusing to walk freely. That’s just ridiculous. I suppose that’s the justification they will use to justify why Carlos was injured in this arrest (Carlos says they smashed his head into the street).

I guess I’m just not buying the cop’s story here. To me it seems like overkill to put Carlos through what he was put through. It doesn’t all add up. I can envision a scenario where what really happened was a photographer was taking photos of cops who didn’t want to be photographed. They asked him not to photograph them and he continued, so they used their power to teach him a lesson. The problem is that the cops should not be telling anyone not to photograph them. If they want to be in a job where they won’t be photographed public service is probably not for them. Also regardless of whether Carlos “identified” himself as a journalist or not, this is not relevant. We are all citizen journalists and as an actual journalist Carlos holds no special rights over any of the rest of us.

I hope that this matter is investigated and that if Carlos indeed was unjustly arrested that the cops in question lose their jobs at a minimum. I hope that his story gets the attention that it deserves and that police everywhere and photographers everywhere are better educated about our respective rights.

1. Hey Thomas,

I recently discussed this issue with my father, an RCMP officer with over 35 years of experience regarding this.

In case you aren’t aware the Royal Canadian Mounted Police are a sort of national police force in Canada. Results may vary in the US.

His response to me when asked the best way to go about it is to ask permission from the officers, even though you don’t need it. He stated something like ‘If a police officer doesn’t like what you’re doing, there’s probably some sectional of the criminal code that he can twist around in order to arrest you.’

I don’t agree with the concept of asking permission to take public photos of a public official (police officer) on a public street. I carry photographers rights cards in my back pocket, just in case I’m required to quote the proper statute or whatnot.

On the reverse side of an encounter like Carlos’, my one encounter with the police was pretty good. It was admittedly strange, since I was taking a picture of a sticker with a street behind it:

There was a major public transit hub behind me, but that was it.

Rather than get aggressive the officer merely asked what I was up to and engaged me in a casual conversation about his wife’s photography business. He was moderately knowledgeable and this may have been legitimate, but it was an obvious way to get me to say what I was taking photos and why.

Basically goosing me to see if I panicked. After about five minutes, he went back to walking around and I went back to shooting.

I was almost expecting some massive knock-down drag-out showdown. Or at least be told to move along. I’m pretty happy with how it worked out.

2. Karoli says:

So…I just read the arrest reports, and my question is this: How does one “get violent” by “taking pictures with the camera”?

That one single sentence threw the entire report into suspicion for me, because the only way I know to be violent with a camera is to use it like a bludgeon, or swing it around (something no self-respecting photographer would do unless his life depended on it). Documenting a situation with one’s camera is not a violent act.

I admit that I have not had positive experiences with law enforcement and so am a little bit tainted, probably even biased. Even so, I’m smelling a nice odor of BS rising from this.

3. Shawn says:

Indeed. It does sound a bit fishy. On top of that, this officer’s grammar in an official document is terrible. I know it’s not really relevant to his credibility, but it certainly doesn’t help.

Thanks for staying on top of this!

4. Eric says:

Anybody found out if there’s a in-car camera that was on-site? The video tape of this incident should be public record. If someone in the Miami area would be kind enough to acquire that and drop it on youtube or elsewhere, I think we could fill in some of the blanks on these inconsistencies. I’d like to know more.

I would like to see some of his photos that he was taking that were “20 yards away” by Carlos’ own account. The only ones we have seen are the ones from across the street, which seem like it might almost be 20 yards away, but he said he was already escorted away at that point? Was he really 20 yards away or was he hovering over their shoulders? He stated that the officer turned around to him and asked him what he was doing, was the officer also standing 20 yards away from the scene?

As much as we can say that the officers account is a bit twisted, the same can be said about Carlos’. I believe that things were done wrong on both sides, and somewhere in between lies the truth, and each has put the spin in their favor on their telling.

Things done wrong on both sides? How exactly do you take a picture wrong such that it breaks a law?

Not to take any side, but, from the photo posted, it’s apparent Carlos was using a flash. If you’ve ever been flashed at night, in a low-light area, you know it can be quite blinding. I have to say that I could see the cops taking that as aggressive behavior. Not saying their reaction was well-modulated, just exploring details.
    Personally, I think the violence-application powers that police have is extreme in general. Threatening to “tase” someone if they don’t do what you say . . . that threatening potentially lethal force . . . too much.

Sounds like the police had a good ol’ time of fudging the report.

Refusing to walk freely – assuming he was on the nice, safe, lovely sidewalk – not cause to suddenly demand he put his hands behind his back.

Any seasoned officer ought to know this much.

I’d be happy to see IA go tearassing through their cute little department – probably would find a healthy amount of complaints, violations of policy, and other – similar – things going on.

If a lawsuit and a plea for the FBI to look into departmental transgresses, among other agencies/depts/etc aren’t forthcoming, someone’s fucked up.

This certainly ain’t the status quo.

Did you read his own account?

It’s not like they arrested him for taking the photos in the first place, they arrested him because they asked him several times to keep moving and he refused and mouthed off. The commanding officer escorted him away and he intentionally put his camera in the officers face to prove his point, and then did the same to the officers. Even THEN he stated that they were motioning to him to keep moving…but he didn’t…he kept shooting. Those are his words (Carlos’) and not my interpretation.

From there on, the information is conflicting, they were abusive to him, they weren’t abusive to him, he resisted, he didn’t. Either way, he had absolutely no idea what they were dealing with and I believe that he should have backed off, or gotten far enough away that he was not a distraction/interference for them.

At what point is it OK/Not OK for him to be photographing a crime scene, and at white point does he, even as a photojournalist, need to step back and realize that they have asked him several times to move on?

Again, he only posted what I would consider to be the “too late” photos, the ones where he has been taken across the street from the scene and th officers are there. I would like to see the photos that he took before he was asked to move on, yet those requests have been skipped by on his original post.

10. K says:

For what it is worth these are City of Miami Police Officers. Check out the documentary Cocaine Cowboys or google “Miami River Cops” or google “Arthur McDuffie” see the impact of Miami’s finest.

As mentioned above, the published photo above was clearly taken with a flash, and taken close enough to the officers to illuminate them and the road immediately around them. If you look at the shadows, it’s clearly taken form a few feet away.

It was also taken facing traffic (see the Jeep in the background, also illuminated by the flash). If I were a police officer standing in the road trying to do my job, the last thing I would want would be someone strobing into oncoming traffic. I can’t blame them for asking him to relocate.

His refusal to do so is really just rude, and flashing the cop at close range “to piss him off” is pretty juvenile. Sure, journalists have rights, and should exercise them…but with discretion and professionalism. And let’s be clear here…it’s not like the cops were doing anything particularly exciting. Pick your battles, and save the indignance for situations that truly merit journalistic involvement or intervention.

12. Ole says:

“If a police officer doesn’t like what you’re doing, there’s probably some sectional of the criminal code that he can twist around in order to arrest you.”

This statement makes me feel sick to my stomach. Anyone else?

You should arrange an “international photograph the police in action day”. I’m sure they are only picking on individuals at the moment but is many people globally started to take photos of the police (note this may be an issue in some countries) it might raise the profile of the issue.

14. Jinxy says:

Sounds to me like it was more a matter of the photog’s attitude and belligerance that landed him where he is, rather than some egregious case of police brutality.

Like anon said, surprising a bunch of unsuspecting cops by using a flash camera near and accident scene and then running off your mouth about how you can do what you want is one of the quickest ways to get sent to the hoosegow.

Even most 18 year old drunken college students know better than that.

Look at the picture more carefully. It’s clear that this is at least a 4-6 lane street and that the photog has clearly entered into an area where a normal person would not think to enter unless they were looking to start some shit.

I know there are asshole cops out there (especially in Florida) who are uneducated brutes who have no respect for the law or civil liberties and would arrest somebody just for looking at them funny. But in this case there’s clearly two sides to this story.

As for shawn’s painfully elitist statment that the story “sounds fishy” because of the officer’s poor grammar – you get what you pay for. Go down to your local police precinct some time and read through some criminal incident reports and maybe then you won’t be so surprised.

The easiset way to avoid a situation like this is simply, as a courtesy, to ask the officers if they minded him taking photos. That’s all.

“Excuse me, officer? I’m with the Daily Planet. I’m going to shoot some pictures of the scene here. You mind?”

“Yeah, do me a favor. Do it a little further away. We’re trying to process the accident scene.”

“No problem. Have a nice day.

Or

*flashes go off right behind them while officers try to figure out what happened with accident*

“What the fuck do you think you’re doing?!”

“I’m taking pictures. What does it look like I’m doing?”

“Well do it some place other than here. We’re trying to do our job.”

“This is a public road. I’ll do whatever I want.”

*out come the ‘cuffs*

I know a bunch of you moonbats out there don’t think you should have to deign to ask the police for anything, but courtesy and manners are the grease that makes the world go ’round.

Live it. Love it. Learn it.

Yes, if you don’t show courtesy to the cops you deserve to be locked up.

What a wonderful world we live in.

And for the record – I’m very polite to cops because I know that they have a tough job when they’re following the rules.

Cops don’t care, Thomas. Cops will do whatever they want to do, because that’s why they took the job in the first place. If you look at a cop wrong, he’ll use that as an excuse to tase you, and you’ll have to spend a lot of money on lawyers to fight off charges.

Power corrupts. That’s just how it is.

17. Old Hickory says:

I suspect the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I wonder whether Carlos approached the encounter with a pre-conceived notion that the cops were going to hassle him, so when they did, he perhaps might have over-reacted. By the same token, if he did have that pre-conceived notion, it was likely due to knowing that snapping flash pictures in the cops’ faces as they were working an accident scene was probably provocative.

As a former Florida prosecutor, I’m fairly comfortable in saying that the police certainly over-react frequently, but so do citizens. If it were an accident scene or a crime scene, the police have a primary obligation to secure the scene and ensure the safety of others. A non-compliant “citizen-journalist” can compromise those goals.

As adults, we should recognize that we are required to comply with certain authority figures. You cannot have it both ways – you certainly want the police to protect you, but you can’t pick and chose when to respect their authority. Like it or not, they are ordained with civil authority. I admit that there is a certain current of immaturity that runs through the ranks of the police force, but the low pay isn’t going to be attracting a lot of PhD’s to the force, either.

If an officer asks you to move yourself and your camera across the street, you should do it, and not become petulant about it. If you feel strongly about your right to take the pictures, then you get arrested and you deal with it.
    Plenty of people have been arrested in the name of a cause which they held dear. Should you be beaten by the cops? Of course not, though once they tell you your under arrest, anything other than falling to the ground is going to be considered resisting (at least as far as charges go and the justification of force – whether you’re prosecuted on the charge is a different story).

If it happens frequently enough, or if someone can convince the courts via lawsuit that the police acted improperly, then maybe localities will issue clear cut guidelines for everyone to follow. In the interim, disobey the police at your own risk.

18. Robert says:

sounds like usual florida police behavior. I’ve heard nothing but horrible things about florida police.

After reading some of Carlos’ other posts going back for about 2 years, he obviously has an issue with the law in general. He has had a few run ins in the past and himself has stated (in past cases) that he stepped back from the scene to avoid confrontation and or arrest…but not in this case I guess.

He also is more of an activist than of a photojournalist. He is biased against authority (Google his posts about “preparing for protests”), against the rules of the government (Google how he ignored Federal law to travel to Cuba) and has more than once talked about his run-ins with police asking him to move on.

I am having a harder and harder time feeling bad for him.

I also wish that the bloggers that are just grabbing snippets of Thomas original post would post the facts. Look at the link backs and you will see that almost every one has omitted information in order to make th story more dramatic. He was not arrested for taking a photo, he was arrested for being an ass to cops, plain and simple. If he were being arrested for taking the photos, they would have done it when he took the photos, not after they asked him to keep moving half a dozen times.

If he were eating an apple, and he waltzed onto the crime scene, and they asked him to step back, and he refused, stating that he wasn’t breaking the law and that he was just eating his apple, and they asked him to step off again, and again, then when an officer escorted him away, he continued to instigate the officers, to the point where they arrested him, would he have been arrested for eating an apple?

As much as we, being the little guy, like to defend our own against the powers that be, there is a right and a wrong way to deal with authority. In my opinion, Carlos chose confrontation and received confrontation in return. Maybe he mouthed off to officers before and they stood down, but not in this case.

Keeping in mind I was not there to witness the account described in the post, it does seem that perhaps the cops were a bit excessive in threatening him, but they do have the right to tell someone to move on when they’re interfering with an ongoing investigation.

I think Carlo’s actions were nothing but immature and pissy. Granted, he does have a right to take photos, but when he is specifically asked by the cops to stop, then he should have simply moved on rather than continue to piss off the cops by continuing to snap away. In my opinion, it’s childish actions like Carlos’ that put all us photographers in a bad light.

“I hope that this matter is investigated and that if Carlos indeed was unjustly arrested that the cops in question lose their jobs at a minimum.”

Lose their jobs at a minimum?! While sometimes their actions are questionable, cops have a job I can’t even imagine. It’s clear after reading both sides of this story, the photog himself can’t deny he didn’t antagonize officers doing their job. To think that you actually want officers to lose their jobs over this…what kind of people do you want keeping peace on the streets?

The CATEGORY305 link is gone. The website itself only seems to have a brain dead search function that connects to INDEX.COM

Please, don’t settle on conspiracy theories. For all I know, CATEGORY305 is a slapdash organization that removed the stuff because it was getting hit too often (slashdotted.)

FWIW, in a lot of 3rd world countries it is incredibly illegal to take a photograph of a police officer, government official, or any state building

such was ( possibly still is ) the case in kenya – where it was used extensively to keep information/reporting on large scale corruption undocumented

That said, the photographer in general sounds like a hot head. You don’t assert your rights with cops — you go across the street, take a few snapshots or a cell phone video while no one can see , and post them on flickr/youtube the next day along with a story about how you were prohibited from exercising your rights.

Cops have nightsticks, radios for backup, and an eagerness to arrest people who given the slightest bit of a hard time — probably stemming from the fact that its their job to get shot at or hit by junkies all day. arguing with a cop is just about the dumbest thing anyone can do.

24. Agent Smith says:

I’m gonna have to go with the officers on this one. You take a picture wrong by failing to obey a voice command by an officer to quit getting in the way of an investigation. You become violent while taking pictures by getting in the way and failing to obey direct repeated and absurdly clear voice commands by an officer telling you to get the flying fingersandwich out of the way. The underdog cameraman supports are all looking at the unrelated events and are being perplexed at the charges without looking at what the charges are actually for — his attitude and being a freak about not backing the fark away when told to. It’s not that he was illegally taking pictures, it’s that he was be an f-tard about it. If I was a bystander and had a billy club, you can bet that camera, expensive or no, would be on the ground and in pieces. You DO NOT get fussy with police and just think you’re all that and can get away with it. You will back the fark away from the scene, or you will shortly be wearing some pretty bracelets.

In this post 9/11 world…

26. Spacebar Supersleuth says:

“He was not arrested for taking a photo, he was arrested for being an ass to cops, plain and simple.”

I’m sorry, but being an ass isn’t an arrestable offense.

We have laws for very specific reasons, and “being an ass” isn’t one of them in any state in this country.

Mr.Millers history, or his “feelings” about authority have nothing to do with this. If he did not do anything to break any laws, that is all that matters, and all that any judge would look at.

I’m glad people like him push back at authority. If they don’t, noone will, and officers will be free to get away with anything they want.

27. mizerock says:

Failing to obey an officer of the law [or a flight attendant], no matter how moronic the request, IS an arrestable offense. If you feel they are misusing their power, do not talk back. Take it to court, take it to your member of Congress, write a letter to the editor. Showing distain for authority might get your points with your hippy friends but it is awfully ignorant to be surprised when your reaction is treated as a serious threat to society.

28. Andrew says:

I was recently in a similar situation, check out my blog at http://www.myspace.com/acedrew for a video of a officer abusing me. The local news station just contacted me about doing a story on it. It amazed me just how easy it is for a officer to give someone a hard time, mine was just pure harassment though, they didn’t charge me with anything at all.

“I’m sorry, but being an ass isn’t an arrestable offense.”

If you don’t consider the fact that he repeatedly interrupted them from doing their job (flash, mouthing off, not moving when asked), fired his flash in the Sargent’s face at arms length (pictures and his words show that), and tried to play the “I have the right to do what I want” after the *asked* him to move, then you are right, his acting like an ass was not an arrestable offense. Sadly, he DID do all of those things. If they needed space that he was not giving them when they were trying to investigate a crime scene, he was being an ass to the level that is arrestable. Look it up, it’s called “Interfering with an Officer” and or “Obstruction of Justice”.

He has ABSOLUTELY NO RIGHT OR AUTHORITY to determine, on spot, if HE is interfering with the officers trying to assess the situation. They felt he was and told him to move on and that is the fact. He chose to challenge that fact.

“Mr.Millers history, or his “feelings” about authority have nothing to do with this. If he did not do anything to break any laws..”

That is the biggest crock to come out of this yet. If he has had a confrontation 5 times in the past 3 weeks, and on the 6th confrontation he gets arrested, it doesn’t matter that it happened five times in the past? Maybe for his criminal record it doesn’t matter, but we are not a court hearing, we are talking about the actions on both parties right now. This is a situation he is and should be all to familiar with by this point, and that is by his own accounts that he has documented.

If you want to say that history and personal feelings have nothing to do with it, then you would have to believe the police report of 5 officers is true and that Carlos’ account is a lie. The police should get a clean slate as well right? Why would 5 honest police officers lie?

Pick apart any piece of that which supports your side of it, but if they were really after him they wouldn’t have given him the chance to get out of their way while they were doing their job. They also would have made sure that the photos were not saved or even given back to him. He has posted 2 photos so far, one of the officers standing around with hands in their pockets flanking their Sgt, and one of him flashing the Sgt at point blank…show me some evidence that supports that he was standing 60 feet away from the scene, minding his own business and I will think differently….because right now his words alone are not convincing me.

30. cimal says:

Wow! Police officers befuddled and harassed by a flash-wielding photographer! So the flashes bothered them. Well, it seems to me that there are several sets of shining headlights on vehicles no more than a few feet from these officers. Why didn’t they stop traffic and tell everyone to turn off those darned, shiny, offensive, obstructing headlights? There’s no such thing as an investigation of a private matter by police. It’s always a public matter when police show up. There’s no ban against taking flash pictures at night on a street with traffic. None. Not one anywhere in the country. If you think there is, go find it.

You know, we’ve got a situation in many parts of this country in which folks who are rather on the dim side, lacking any sort of proper education, sign up to be police. Look at their completely stupid expressions. You can tell who these people are. They look sort of like the officers in these pictures. They get through a police academy with very little understanding of the law and even less respect for individual rights. Due in part to our country’s current obsession with ‘security,’ these dumbass folk are feeling their oats and taking tough action against anyone they can. Witness the city of Dumbton.. I mean Boston, with its irrational police frenzy against the Cartoon Network’s light-up robot signs a few weeks ago. Man, talk about dumb!

So, remember, dumbasses are easy to find in police departments. But the best thing to do is just flash your bulbs right in their faces, let them mug you. Let them drag you away. Then sue the living shit out of the department and the individual officers and take their houses away from them. You need a decent lawyer, but that’s not hard to find.

A pig is a pig is a pig. Always will be.

31. normancay says:

here are three words…

Fuck The Police.

What else can you expect in George Bush’s America?

Good for you for standing up to them, police officers are always concerned when someone is documenting them while working, because more than half the time the police officer is breaking the law them self and does not want evidence.

How many times have you seen police abuse their powers? I live in LA so my police dept has abuse as their first pillar of service to the citizens.

32. normancay says:

YOU DO NOT NEED TO ASK OR INFORM A PEACE OFFICER YOU ARE PHOTOGRAPHING THEM OR FILMING THEM! this is still the Republic of the United States of America, and our society is till free somewhat. This post 9/11 fear mongering and abuses of power are truly un-american.

33. As a photojournalist in Minnesota myself, I can tell you, many cops are power hungry and they always want to control every story. I’ve been threatened with arrest for “obstruction” because i was taking pictures at a bad accident.

As if I wanted to be at an accident anyway, the cop wouldn’t let me anywhere near it and said it was a “crime scene.” Yeah, it wasn’t and I was at least 100 feet back. No yellow tape.

He originally said he didn’t want me taking photos because he “didn’t need photos of a dead guy in the paper.” Not that I would be going for the most gruesome image in the first place, and the point is to show the action of the rescue effort, but that isn’t his place to decide anyway.

That’s just one of many examples.

I have also been essentially beaten up by officers (you should have seen the bruises!) for answering the door at a party and saying, as nice and straightforward as possible (seriously, I tried to be incredibly respectful), they could not enter without a warrant.

I didn’t end up doing anything, which was dumb but I was already really stressed out at the time. What do you think the chances are they would have said I “got violent” and “was drunk”? I suppose I would have had tons of witnesses though, but I didn’t want to make any of my friends fight my battles.

I guess this is just a rant on how so many cops are (and firefighters and ambulance workers aren’t in the least), but I certainly know first hand how cops treat people oberying the law and trying to inform the public of what’s going on.

Jails are filled w people who think they don’t need to listen to cops. Not even web photographers are immune!

You people supporting the cops are silly. It doesn’t matter if he was standing too close to the cops or if he didn’t move when first instructed or that he intentionally pissed off the cops. I think that the first picture says it all. You have him on the other side of the road (if not on the sidewalk then a few feet away from it, and the cops standing there calmly. Up until then I think the cops probably did the right thing, but even that is irrelevant. Once he got into that position it is clear that he wasn’t doing anything wrong and as long as he didn’t do anything stupid he shouldn’t have been arrested.

It’s funny how the people defending the journalist go based on the journalist’s POV, and the people defending the officers’ take the cops’ POV. Neither side has once taken the means to fully try to understand the other side which has lead to nothing but self projection.

Being I have followed the case personally back when it was just a guy posting on a message board with posters dubious of his situation, I have read more about the individuals account and seen photos he took of himself as he was bruised. The police used brutality and didn’t mention it at all in their report, that alone says the tone for this: Minor crime, a traffic infraction at most (if he was really in the middle of the road), and he got beat up for it. Looking at it past that will begin to test your innermost self’s capability of morality or lack thereof 🙂

P.S. As someone who has an interest in joining their local police force, had I been the one to kick the crap out of the guy, I’d wanna be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law too. The desire to be a police officer has to be born of the desire to uphold the law or there’s nothing more than a vigilante.

You can expect police officers, specially the ones walking the streets, to be the stupidest of the stupid; you have to be in order to choose that job. They are in contact with the scum in the streets and when they can pick on a normal person they’ll do it gladly. An idiot carrying a gun and a taser is clearly an injustice waiting to happen. Police force should be de-militarised specially in countries where people don’t carry guns.

I DO NOT CARE WHAT THE POLICE SAY, THERE IS A HUGE POLICE BRUTALITY PROBLEM IN THIS COUNTRY, THE ABUSE THEIR POWER, I LIVE OUT OF ST BUT WAS IN FL LAST YEAR, PULLED OVER FOR NO REASON, DRAGGED OUT OF MY CAR HAND CUFFED, I AM A FEMALE AND 2 COPS BEAT THE HECK OUT OF ME FOR NO REASON AT ALL, WHEN I ASKED WHY I WAS BEING ARRESTED THEY LAUGHED, LEFT ME CUFFED IN THE BACK OF THE CARE FOR OVER 4 HRS WHILE THEY TALKED AND LAUGHED AND DRANK COFFEE, I STILL HAD NO IDEA WHY I WAS ARRESTED THEY VIOLATED ME AND MY RIGHTS BRUTALITY HAS TO STOP…I HATE TO SAY IT BUT FL IS ONE OF THE BIGGEST STATES ACCUSED OF IT AND I KNOW THAT FIRST HAND I WAS TREATED LIKE DIRT AND THE ONLY REASON I CAN THINK OF IS I HAD AN OUT OF STATE PLATE I HIRED A LAWYER ALL CHARGES WERE DROPPED AND I AM SUEING THEM I WENT THRU HELL FOR OVER 12 HRS THAT I DID NOT DESERVE IT CHANGED MY LIFE FOREVER, COPS HAVE BECOME OUT OF CONTROL, I MEAN THE GUY WAS JUST TAKING SOME PICS LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO AT ACCIDENTS, HE SHOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ARRESTED, ANOTHER CASE OF MISUSE OF POWER, I HOPE HE WINS AND SUES THEM FOR FALSE ARREST……….

Police lie all the time to cover them selves, I had it happen to me the police report was so out of wack w/lies trying to cover up beating me up that it does not even match their video, one of my charges was resisting arrest WITHOUT violence, because I sd you cant arrest me, so they added charge funny though if it was without violence then why did they beat me up after they cuffed me???? I have lost all respect for all cops, the brutality problem in this country is getting way out of control as is the abuse of power by wearing a uniform and badge, type in police brutality and see how many sites come up just in FL, forget NY and los angelas, I dont thing he should have been arrested

The police can arrest you for obstructing traffic or an investigation. Ive never heard of police targeting journalist or media for no reason. By the picture the police seem calm. Next time step back away from the police and ask for a supervisor(via phone) this case is not rocket science or a conspiracy by police to target the several million camera owners.