Super Coumbine Massacre Role Playing Game Pulled from Video Game Competition

Exclusive: Columbine Game Kicked From Competition – Kotaku

“Slamdance finalist Super Columbine Massacre RPG has been officially kicked from the festival due to mounting pressure from protesters and the loss of sponsorship, the game’s creator told Kotaku Thursday night.

This is the first time in the Slamdance Festival’s 13-year history that a game or film has been removed from the festival due to criticism or outside pressure.

In a last minute phone call Thursday evening, Slamdance president and co-founder Peter Baxter, told game developer Danny Ledonne that he regards his decision to remove the game from the festival as “deeply flawed,” but necessary to the festival’s survival. He went on to say, according to Ledonne, that the festival’s initial decision to select the game was “consistent with Slamdance’s philosophy but somewhat naive,” and apologized profusely for pulling the entry.”

Wow, I’m not sure what kind of parent would let their kid play a game called the Super Columbine Massacre. I wonder if at some point you have to draw the line about content like this. Video games are certainly consumed by a young demographic. It’s interesting that the tobacco companies can’t market to kids but games like this seem to be ok.

I’ve got an XBox 360 for the kids and try to keep the games at least somewhat under control. Tiger Woods Golf, Project Gotham Racing. My son’s favorite game is Kameo and even that game makes my worry if it’s not too much for a six year old.

By way of disclaimer, I know nothing about this Columbine game, I’ve never played it, don’t know anything about it. So I’m not really passing judgment here, I just worry though about a title and what potentially could be the content of a game that might focus on mass school killings.

1. Ryan Russell says:

“Wow, I’m not sure what kind of parent would let their kid play a game called the Super Columbine Massacre.”

“So I’m not really passing judgment here,”

I think you have some internal inconsistencies in your post. Pick an opinion, and explain it.

2. Your kids can’t smoke or drink, they can not steal cars in real life and outrun the police — but hey, if they’re doing it in a video game, that’s fine! (Sarcastic)

Video games have taken a turn for the worse in the past few years. Anything is fine in the movies/television, music, and games. That creates a problem when those teenagers hit their young adult years. ‘Tis the decline of the world, especially so America.

This is just another sick example.

Ryan, it’s hard for me to blindly pass judgment on the game when I’ve never seen it, never played it, have no idea what it is even about.

I don’t like the idea in general though of a role playing game based on school shootings that would likely end up being played by kids.

I can probably buy the fact that shooter games are fantasy and kids know the difference to a point, but potentially when something is so directed towards killing other kids and school violence in a role playing scenario (if this is indeed the premise of the game) then this would probably go too far in my opinion.

Hard to come down hard on one side or the other with a total lack of information on my part. I’m not going to condemn the game blindly without seeing it. But certainly it does raise a red flag and I hope that someone who knows more about this game than I do might shed some light.

More info can be found on the game here…

It can be downloaded for free and there is a video trailer as well.

It’s basically done in the style of the old RPG/3rd person games (Early Final Fantasy, etc). It uses facts from the crime, photos, news reports, video, etc and allows you to live out the final hours of Kleibold and Harris.

5. -gary says:

I believe in free speech and all of that, but at some point individuals (namely the people that would promote, sponsor and sell this title) have to step back and think for a minute or two about how inappropriate something like this is.

I could care less about random sex and violence in video games since I just won’t buy it if I don’t like it, but this is just plain disrespectful to everyone that lost their lives that day and their families. It’s not just this particular event either. Any title that would try to turn a profit on anything like this should be shunned by the public as a whole for their complete lack of decency.

There was a little lesson that our parents taught us early that apparently they have forgotten. Just because you can do something, doesn’t mean you should do it.

“I wonder if at some point you have to draw the line about content like this.”

Drawing the line sounds an awful lot like censorship. I don’t care how awful or offensive it is – it deserves the same first amendment protection afforded any other game or creative work.

7. -gary said…

How is this different from any war sim? Call of Duty, WW2, Wolfenstein, etc.?

Either the first amendment protect everything or it protects nothing

Remember, it’s whomever is in charge at the moment who will decide what’s offensive and what’s not. If you don’t like something, don’t purchase it, don’t buy it for your kids, and for god’s sake if you’re concerned with what your kids are playing or doing online, put the computer/video game system in the living room and actually monitor your children, don’t ever count on any watchguard organization to do it for you.

8. -gary says:

How about you take a second to actually read what I wrote, including the “I believe in free speech”, “I just won’t buy it if I don’t like it” and particularly the words “shunned by the public” which is a far cry from the governmental censorship you seem to believe I’m advocating. Voting with your wallet, as it’s called, is not in any way, shape or form censorship.

As for how it is different from a WWII sim, you’re comparing a large war that happened three generations ago, to an isolated incident that killed less than 15 and all but one happened to be children in a school. If you can’t see the difference, then I’m not surprised you glazed over what I actually wrote.

9. Glenn says:

You all realize that the “average” gamer is 25 years old, correct?

Oh no, the chilrun!!!