Photowalking… It’s Spreading

<tcPhotowalking the Santa Barbara Mission at TrevorCarpenter.com I was very pleased with the turn out for our photowalking get together yesterday at the train museum and want to thank everyone who has been so supportive today and talked about what a great time we all had. Getting a group of 20+ photographers together for a shoot is one of the best things in the world.

And a lot of people are writing saying they wish they could have been there and that while they were there in spirit, the only thing that kept them away was the distance.

But why should distance prevent people from photowalking? It shouldn’t. Part of what I think works really well with our photowalks are the combination of the social aspects of photography with a video representation of it. It’s a way to share the photowalk with the whole world.

So I was super pleased today to get an email from Trevor Carpenter down in Santa Barbara who has taken the initiative and has organized the next photowalk.

This one will take place on February 3rd at the Santa Barbara Mission. Although I won’t be able to make this one, I think it’s great that Trevor’s organizing it. Santa Barbara is such a great place to shoot. I went to college down there and there is so much beauty.

My friend torbakhopper (on Flickr) and mercho colay (on Zooomr) lives down in Santa Barbara and has been capturing it’s beauty for the past few years. If you get a chance to check out some of his Santa Barbara shots as well it’s definitely worth it. I shot him an email on the photowalk as well.

the water fountainthe water fountain Hosted on Zooomr

Santa Barbara Mission, by mercho colay.

Trevor is putting the evnet on at The Santa Barbara Mission at 1pm and has more details over on his blog. Be sure to set up an upcoming.org event for the photowalk Trevor and point people to that as well. Here’s a link to our upcoming.org photowalk from yesterday.

And if you are interested in setting up a photowalk of your own be sure to drop me a line. I’ll help promote it and I’m sure Scoble will as well. Photowalking is a great way to meet old friends, make new friends, and make the world a more beautiful place by sharing the photos that people come up with. I hope someone can also video the Santa Barbara one because I’d love to see that.

Oops..I added this as a comment to an earlier, unrealated post. I should have waited a bit. Sorry.

How to be a jerk about Web 2.0

Say “meta” a lot. Do it in an apologetic way, like a hipster admitting that she still listens to Modest Mouse even though they’re on the radio now. Take photos of other people taking photos (and yourself in the mirror), blog about blogs, and practice recursive activity until you suck the reality out of your life and are numb to the world around you. Afterward, say “Ohmygod, that was so meta!”

I’m looking at you Hawk….

2. John Walker says:

Thomas,

It’s spreading to the East Coast too. I want to know what the definition of “photowalking” is? Is walking by yourself through a location taking photos considered “photowalking”? I think so, but you guys came up with it, so what do you think?

Here’s a set I called “Hoboken Photowalking”, but it was just me…

3. Tom, thanks for the plug and the upcoming.org tip. I’ve added this event to upcoming.org, here’s the URL.

4. I too went to school in S.B. – UCSB.

The mission is a beautiful place. Also check out l madonnari over Memorial Day weekend – the chalk festival at the Mission.

5. TranceMist says:

Hi Thomas,

I’d done this on occasion before I discovered your collection on Flickr, your site, and from it the term.

I’m really glad to see that there are other people actively enjoying this and paying attention to it. Although for me it’s a personal thing. I don’t think I’d want to go out with an organized group.

Lately I’ve been photowalking to learn and practice my skills. I keep a set on Flickr titled Atlanta.

Also, I notice that Wikipedia doesn’t have an entry for “photowalking”, I think we need to create one!

And finally, who’s the idiot who keeps putting up the “jerk/web 2.0” comments on your blog?

6. monkeyleader says:

The Cambridge (UK) Flickr meet has been happening once a month for the past while now (http://www.flickr.com/groups/cambridge-meet-up/) and for the first time I decided to take along a camcorder (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxnHpJzZJ5g) Yer it sucked but the biggest issue is we all want to take the photos, not do the video – I agree tho it would be great to capture our Cambridge meets via video every month.

Nige

7. Mick I says:

There’s a Photowalking group on Flickr in case you peoples didn’t know. Here in Honolulu we just had small meet up and are planning to do this monthly.

8. latoga says:

Thomas,

I noticed how one of your commentors stated how “you guys invented it” (with regards to the term photowalking). I hate to burst the bubble here, but wanted to let you know that there is a women out of Boston who has been leading photowalking tours of Boston since 2002 (see my photo walks posting). You and Scoble definitely put a new spin on it with the video blogging about it, but the concept has been around for a while.

Either way, still a great way to get together with fellow shooters and enjoy our passions together! People should also checkout meetup.com for a local photo meetup; our San Francisco group goes out together regularly on what could be considered photowalks.

9. Ron C says:

I would love to be a part of a photowalk here in Las Vegas. I know of one or two local Flickrites who would love to go, as well. I wish there were a central place to organize one? Perhaps starting at the Flickr group mentioned would be an idea. Thomas, you ever get out to LV, or know of any people out here?