Can’t Upgrade to Blogger’s New Software

Everytime I go to my blogger page it tries to get me to upgrade. And yet everytime I try to upgrade I get this error message:

“Thanks for your interest in the new Blogger in beta! Unfortunately, we cannot switch your Blogger account at this time, because one or more of your blogs cannot be moved. Please see our help article for more information.”

Anyone have any idea on what I’m doing wrong?

No Comments

1. Rob says:

Pretty sure if you host a blog other than on Blogspot you can’t upgrade to Beta right now.

2. Jason says:

See if this helps. Something tells me the third point may be the reason why it isn’t working…

3. Matt says:

I haven’t been able to switch either. I don’t even have the option to try as you describe.

4. Amit Agarwal says:

Does this blog have more than one authors ? I guess Blogger beta doesn’t support group blogs yet.

Just one author. I think it may be because it’s a big blog (i.e. lots and lots of text, comments, etc.).

But it seems weird that they’ve been pushing the upgrade for me for the past two weeks and I can’t.

Unless I’m doing something else wrong. Even below this box that I’m typing in right now it says “Switched to the Beta?” Sign in with your Googled Account.”

I’d think they should exempt blogs that can’t be transferred to the beta from all the beta marketing.

6. Two guesses: Is your Blogger login tied to any other blogs? Also, if you’re FTP’ing your blog have you tried creating a test blog with Beta and seeing if FTP’ing to the same host works? I was able to xfer my blog at userwww.sfsu.edu/~severud and it uses SFTP but before I could do that I did have to disengage from a shared blog.

I’m not ftping my blog but I think I may have found the answer. According to the Blogger FAQ on the matter if you have a large blog (with over 1,000 posts) you may not be able to transfer yet. Thomas Hawk’s Digital Connection has over 3,000 posts so this could very well be it. It is also tied to FlickrNation another blog I occasionally maintain as well.

I guess what I don’t get is why they are pushing it so hard to me on the blogger pages if I can’t make the transfer. You’d think they could filter out big blogs from getting the upgrade enticements for the time being.

8. Supersaps says:

Hi Thomas,

Hope you don’t mind that I stopped by. I also have the option to switch, but can’t. I don’t have a large blog, FTP, or have other blogs tied to mine. It’s frustrating! Hope your situation gets figured out soon.

–Sapna