Tech Support With Thomas Hawk
Ok, I’ve been thinking about doing a post like this for a while. This is going to be the post where I bitch about technology not working right. Except that this is going to be a living breathing post that frequently jumps to the top of my blog. Basically it will work like this. From now on I’m going to begin documenting in this thread (it’s going to get very very long), as many technical problems that I’m having with regards to my computers, networks, media center, etc. that I can. I’ll keep the post divided into two areas. Problems remaining and problems solved. Feel free to chime in if you think you know what my problem is and I’ll try out your solution (maybe).
I’ll change the date on this post every time I update it to bump it to the top of my blog.
So to start with I’m going to start with two problems I’m having tonight. Each problem will be numbered. Part of why I’m doing this is that I’m hoping that problems that I have will be solved and as my Google Page Rank is reasonably high others will find these solutions in the future when having similar problems.
Ongoing Open Problems
1. Problem number 1. My computer seems to be inexplicably freezing up (yes it’s a Windows machine, I know, I know, get a Mac) periodically. These are really bad freeze ups. Control-alt-delete does not return my PC. I can’t alt tab. Total freeze up. The only way to get my computer back is to restart. The last time it happened I had Pandora on in the background (but this is probably just coincidence) the music even stops and stutters as the freeze happens. The most recent thing I’ve installed is Windows new Live One Care. My next step is going to be to uninstall Live One Care and see if that helps me out at all.
Update: 10 hours or so and no crashes so far since uninstalling Windows Live One Care. If my freeze ups go away for a week straight I will probably consider this one solved and that Windows Live One Care was somehow the culprit. If they come back though I’ll probably need to continue troubleshooting. Thanks for all the memory advice and hardware suggestions. I’m going to try to run a memory diagnostic from Microsoft once I can figure out how to get an .iso image burned and Ed Bott also suggested some Dell Diagnostic tools that I’m hoping to try out if they are free as well.
2. Problem number 2. I’ve got Blogger set to remember my user ID and password. But for some reason when I go to Blogger in Flock it is prefilling out my blogger user ID and password with my email address and wrong password. I have to over write this info every time I publish to blogger. When I go to Blogger in firefox, even when I tell Blogger to remember me on this computer my blogger log on and password are blank. As I type the first letter Firefox shows me the correct ID in the form, but I can’t seem to get Blogger to either truly remember me on this computer or have it prepopulate my blogger user ID and password with the correct fields in either Firefox or Flock.
3. Ok, I lied, one more problem (I remembered this one while trying to uninstall Live One Care). When I go to add/remove programs in windows and launch it, it takes a really, really, really long time to open up the list of programs. It says, “please wait while this list is being populated” but it can take upwards of three to four minutes before the list populates. It’s been this way for about a year. Why so slow? Update: make that at least 10 minutes. It shouldn’t take 10 minutes to open the add/remove programs control programs app.
4. Ok, while downloading a Windows Memory Diagnostic from the Ultimate Boot CD site suggested by Sean (great site by the way Sean) I went to go find the downloaded .iso file on my C: drive where I downloaded it. The problem is that Windows Explorer seems to think that my C: drive is somehow an album instead of my C: drive and rather than my usual headings in Explorer (most recently modified, file name, etc.) I’m getting, album title, year, duration, type headings instead. I’m not sure how to force Explorer to show me the correct file headings instead of album track headings. This is happening to other folders on my PC as well. Of course there are some mp3s on my C: drive, but this should not be over riding my menus.
Update: I even removed all of the mp3s off of my C: drive and it still thinks my C: drive is an album in Explorer.
None solved yet, but I’m optimistic many will be moved down here in the future.