Now Here’s Something to Get Excited About, “Music Performance Has Been Significantly Improved in Windows Vista Build 5219”

Matt Goyer’s Microsoft Windows Media Center Blog – MCE 2005 Microsoft’s Matt Goyer is out today with a post regarding to the exchange that Charlie Owen and I have had over the past few days and it looks like some good news and relief for my music is on the way.

According to Matt “Music performance has been significantly improved in Windows Vista Build 5219 (the PDC build). It wasn’t fixed earlier (i.e. Update Rollup 2) because we had major dependencies on Windows Media Player to fix the problem and our schedules did not align until the Windows Vista timeframe. Yes, we should have fixed it sooner, but Media Center is a very large software project requiring hundreds of people, has hundreds of dependencies on other components, and is working on a certain set schedule.”

This is good news indeed. To know that Vista is going to fix this problem is extremely positive.

I think it’s about time for me to actually sit down and try Vista. Jim Allchin had offered a few of us who had had dinner with him a while back an opportunity to get a beta copy and I’d requested it via Microsoft’s PR firm but never got it in the mail. I never followed up when I didn’t get the disc as I’ve been sucked into flickrland recently. A copy of Vista is on the way now though and I’m looking forward to confirming the improvements myself. If Vista indeed improves the support for large digital libraries I will be one happy camper.

This really is good news. I’m feeling all warm and fuzzy all of a sudden.

1. Media Player says:

I told you that Vista would bring some things you wanted, Thomas. 😀

Really, your Media Library issues should be much improved with Vista. Moreoever, how about a 64-bit machine with 2GB of RAM to really show you some fun stuff with your mass of media content. 🙂

Chris Lanier

2. Ed Bott says:

Don’t get your ups up just yet. Yes, music library performance is improved, but there are big problems with sound card drivers in the current builds of Vista. This will be resolved soon enough (the audio driver model is undergoing a big change, which is why drivers are flaky now), but it’s quite likely you’ll be unhappy with the sound quality from current builds.

3. Mike says:

“Matt, thanks for sharing more of the specifics on the fix and thanks for the transparancy to you and Charlie both where you can be transparent on your blogs.”

Transparent? The comment you posted about the random slide show answer on Matts blog today, which wasn’t complimentary, but was truthful…has been deleted.

4. Bryan "accident" Socha says:

I’m happy to finally see some more specific movement on this subject. I gave up on my music library and mce a long time ago. being an ex-radio dj, my collection takes up a small room and I still physically grab the cd I need.

I also understand that some things take other people in other groups to fix a lacking part of a product because nobody forsaw or tested what would happen if an audiophile suddenly adopted a product that relies on it.

I also get the industry need to move forward on some items like pay hd support.

What I don’t understand is the lack of care that it appears they have towards fixable products. Everyone person willing to work with mce that is willing to use their ota antenna for hd cannot even get all the channels, wrong guide data, no subchannels. Everything that is a problem is all in the database that feeds the end user. It shouldn’t require a patch to fix, just someone who actually maintains the data that every ota user NEEDS for that part of the product to work. I don’t have it so bad except tonight wcbs-dt out of nyc no longer works in mce. fine in any other dvr application just not in mce. people in reno have more channels they can’t tune than they can tune. name a city anywhere in the us, something is wrong with the channel and guide data for that area.

So yes I’m on a mission but I’m trying to also make sure everything thats very much a problem gets fixed. Music is slow, we need that fixed. Not being able to tune any network tv channels that now broadcast hd shows instead of sd shows is a serious problem.

5. Bryan "accident" Socha says:

I also get the industry need to move forward on some items like pay hd support.

6. Ed Bott says:

Mike, your comment that a true but unkind comment was deleted is simply not true. Matt’s original comment is still there, and so is Thomas’s.